Prologue

“You want to do what? Fury demanded, turning around to face Agent Phil Coulson.

To his credit, Coulson barely noticed the glare being directed at him. He’d known Fury for years now, and was practically immune to any form of harshness from the Director.

“If even half of this file is true, he could be one of the greatest assets we’ve ever brought in, sir. He never misses, and he takes shots our best agents wouldn’t dare to take… with a bow, Director.”

There was a moment of tense silence while Fury conceded the point. It still didn’t change the fact that the man in question was dangerous.

“He killed some of our top agents, Coulson, and you want to bring him in.”

Again there was a pause. Coulson thought it over carefully, choosing his words with precision so that Fury would have no choice but to give him a chance to bring the man in.

“In all honesty, sir, yes I do. There is a very slim chance he knows we exist. It’s possible he thought they were CIA. But that just proves how good he is anyways. He’s managed to evade us for months now. You can’t tell me that you aren’t at least slightly curious as to how he’s managed that.”

Fury narrowed his eye at Coulson. He could see that his friend was certain about this. And Fury had always valued Coulson’s opinions on things like this.

“You know the terms, Coulson. If he refuses, you put a bullet in the man’s head. Are we clear?”

“Yes sir.”

“Take Agents Garret and Sitwell and figure out how you want to try and bring the man in.”

That being said, Fury strode off, black trench coat billowing after him. Coulson had to stifle urge to roll his eyes at the other man’s theatrics. Coulson flicked the file open again and sighed at how thin it was. At the top was the mercenaries call name, Hawkeye, and under it the certain kills he had done, forty-six. The rumored kills were below that, fifty-nine. His description was vague at best since hardly anyone saw him. They usually just glimpsed a man running across roofs away from the assassination. The last place he had been seen was Istanbul, Turkey. Coulson closed the file and went to round up the team.