Part I: Chapter Twenty-three - The Treaty

Start from the beginning

"That is fantastic news, and whom will you be marrying?" Anne asked politely to the young girl. She wished her own daughters, if she had any, would be so radiant and full of life as Princess Elizabeth was. She was the most beautiful little girl Anne had ever seen her, any daughter like her would suit Anne fine.

"The Dauphin of France, I shall be his Dauphine and when we are older we will be king and queen of France." Elizabeth said jumping a little with her excitement. "I shall be a queen just like my mother."

"You shall be a good queen." Richard said to his niece smiling down at her. She was the image of her mother, the same slender face, blue eyes and her hair a beautiful auburn much like his wife Anne's. All her siblings were the same, Elizabeth Woodville had stamped them all as her own. But his brother, Edward, made them royal, and they all shared his big heart and his love for England.

"Yes, my mother says I shall be a better Queen than she is. And I will have lots of princes and princesses of my own. I shall name one princess Anne, for you, Lady Anne." Elizabeth said boldly, she was so young but she knew power and she wanted more of it. She would see her sons kings of France, and her grandsons after them. She would mother a line of kings. France and England united, her father and her country would adore her for the marriage. She would be a symbol of peace for years to come. "And now my mother says you must call me Madame la Dauphine so that I might be ready for when I leave for France."

"Madame la Dauphine, come now." Queen Elizabeth said to her daughter holding out her hand for her to take Her other hand rested on her bulging stomach, another York son she hoped, or a daughter. She did not really care which. "Thank you for being so kind to her, Lady Anne, Elizabeth and her sisters adore you. I cannot say how thankful I am."

"It is nothing, your grace. They are three very lovely little girls." Anne curtsied to her queen. Only the last week her niece Cecily had picked her a dozen flowers. She had enjoyed her stay with them, they had deterred her from leaving court. They made her feel safe.

"Do not, what is formality amongst friends? Nobody is watching you." Queen Elizabeth chuckled. "All these rules are so hard to follow. To whom you curtsy and to whom you do not, I often forget. It must be so much easier for two who have know this court from youth." She laughed and Anne humoured her by joining in.

"Yes, I grew used to it very quickly." Richard beamed at Queen Elizabeth. He was nine when his brother had been crowned king, he had frequently visited court since. His knowledge was better than most, or so he liked to believed.

"Good, my girls know more than I do, I swear it." Queen Elizabeth chuckled holding her daughters shoulder under her arms. "I shall be sad to see my boy go back to Ludlow."

"We all shall, he has enjoyed his time here at court." Anne smiled back as Cecily ran to her.

"Lady Anne." Cecily cheered as she wrapped her arms around Anne's legs. "Uncle Richard." She curtsied like a polite princess to Richard before turning back to Anne and tugging on her hand. "Has Bess told you, has she told you about the Dauphin. She is to marry him. My sister the Dauphine of France." Cecily was bubbling with excitement as she spoke, jumping up and down with joy.

"Yes, your mother was just telling me." Anne told the little girl as she caught sight of her sister across the room. "Now," she crouched down to be the same height at Cecily. "Would you like to see your aunt Isabelle? This time she won't be horrid because I'll tell her off if she is." Anne held out her hand and Cecily eagerly took it. She looked to the Queen and the Queen simply nodded.

Anne walked hand in hand with Cecily across the hall with Richard following only a stride behind.

"Isabelle." Anne curtsied to her sister and Cecily mimicked the gesture. "Cecily this is Isabelle, my big sister."

"Lady Isabelle." Cecily said with as much formality as a six year old could manage. "Did you like the flowers I gave to you?" Anne glared at her sister as Cecily stood, swaying with nerves, waiting for Isabelle's reply.

"Yes, Princess Cecily. I liked them very much, I had them put in my own personal chambers." Isabelle forced a smile at the young girl. "They were almost so beautiful as you are." Isabelle smiled but the joy in her voice was forced Anne could tell.

"Good, I am glad you liked them, Lady Isabelle." Cecily curtsied to Isabelle before skipping away from her. Anne looked astounded at the girl, the little one who had hidden behind her sisters was skipping merrily around the court. She was not afraid of anything, but Richard still hurried after her to ensure she did not get lost in the mass of people.

"You did that on purpose." Isabelle hissed to her sister. "You know what I think of those girls, you know what I think Anne. What you should think too." Isabelle scowled at Anne. Those children were bastards, so was their father and even if he were not a bastard, he married before he married their mother. He was still locked in marriage with another whilst all three princesses were born. They had no right to the throne.

"They are children, and you upset the poor girl." Anne smiled at her sister, she knew she could show Isabel up. "Never mind, how is your son doing?"

"He is well, fighting fit." Isabelle chirped at the thought of her little boy frolicking his legs about in his cradle.

"Good," Anne said. "Perhaps feigning loyalty to the crown is not such a sin. Edward seems to think you are loyal now."

"Yes, well now the Princess is betrothed to the Dauphin nobody so much as cares what George is doing. It shall be their own fault when they lose the crown by looking the wrong way." Isabelle told her sister, she was so proud of her husband. His brothers thought he would bring an army down on him but George was not so foolish. He would make a stand in court. Tell of Edwards illegitimate birth and have himself crowned king without a drop of blood spilt. Other than that of his brother, whom he would have to kill for treason. He had worn George's crown after all and proclaimed himself king.

"Yes." Anne did not know what to say.

"So, shall you side we me or that witch?" Isabelle asked. "The rightful King of England or the usurper, Edward."

"I do not know, it shall be my husbands decision. But do not fret Isabelle whatever side my husband chooses, I shall always be loyal to you because you are my sister." It was no lie, Anne may have disliked her sister, loathed her actions but she was not going to disown her. Isabelle was her sister by blood, it was an unwritten rule that they must stay loyal. Although that unwritten rule must not have applied to the sons of York.

"Good, but if your husband makes the wrong decision he shall not be pardoned." Isabelle scoffed. "Nor shall you." She said before turning on her heel. "Goodbye, sister." She said to Anne quickly as she marched away. She wouldn't stand for a sister who would not stand against Richard, he was little more than a boy playing at being a man, nothing for Anne to fear.