Assault on the Hill

Start from the beginning

Suddenly Devin and Aragorn both leapt to their feet.

"Time to go!" she said urgently as he cried: "How the wind howls!"

"It is howling with wolf-voices," exclaimed Aragorn. "The Wargs have come west of the mountains!"

"Need  we wait till morning then?" said Gandalf. "It is as I said. The hunt is  up! Even if we live to see the dawn, who now will wish to journey south  by night with the wild wolves on his trail?"

"How far is Moria?" asked Boromir.

"There was a door south-west of Caradhras, some fifteen miles as the crow flies, and maybe twenty as the wolf runs," answered Gandalf grimly.

"We have no hope of outrunning them in the dark, but if we climb to the top of this hill, and make a stand there, we will survive the night," said Devin with comforting certainty.

"Then let us start as soon as it is light tomorrow, if we can," said Boromir. "The wolf that one hears is worse than the orc that one fears."

"True!" said Aragorn, loosening his sword in its sheath. "But where the warg howls, there also the orc prowls."

"I am no good after all," muttered Pippin to Sam. "There is not enough of the breed of Bandobras the Bullroarer in me: these howls freeze my blood. I don't ever remember feeling so wretched."

"That's nothing to be ashamed of," said Devin, who had overheard. "Being brave doesn't mean that you aren't afraid. It means you have the inner strength to embrace being afraid and still move forward. Don't let fear stop you. Courage is like a muscle; we strengthen it with use."

"Yeah, feel the fear and do it anyway!" said Kitty.

"My heart's right down in my toes, Mr. Pippin," said Sam. "But we aren't  eten yet, and there are some stout folk here with us. Whatever may be in  store for old Gandalf, I'll wager it isn't a wolf's belly."

For their defense in the night the Company followed Devin's advice, and climbed to the top of the small hill under which they had been sheltering. It was crowned with a knot of old and twisted trees, about  which lay a broken circle of boulder-stones. In the midst of this they lit a fire, for there was no hope that darkness and silence would keep their trail from discovery by the hunting packs.

Round the fire they sat, and those not on guard dozed uneasily. Poor Bill the pony trembled and sweated where he stood. The howling of the wolves was now all round them, sometimes nearer and sometimes further off. In the dead of night many shining eyes were seen peering over the brow off the hill. Some advanced almost to the ring of stones. At a gap in the circle a great dark wolf-shape could be seen halted, gazing at them. A shuddering howl broke from him, as if he were a captain summoning his pack to the assault.

Gandalf strode forward, holding his staff aloft. "Listen, Hound of Sauron!" he cried. "Gandalf is here. Fly, if you value your foul skin! I will shrivel you from tail to snout, if you come within this ring."

The wolf snarled and sprang towards them with a great leap. At that moment there was a sharp twang. Legolas had loosed his bow. There was a hideous yell, and the leaping shape thudded to the ground; the elvish arrow had pierced its throat. The watching eyes were suddenly extinguished. Gandalf and Aragorn strode forward, but the hill was deserted; the hunting packs had fled. All about them the darkness grew silent, and no cry came on the sighing wind.

"Stay on your guard," Devin advised. "They will be back before the night is over."

The night was old, and westward the waning moon was setting, gleaming fitfully through the breaking clouds. Suddenly Frodo started from sleep. Without warning a storm of howls broke out fierce and wild all about the camp. A great host of Wargs had gathered silently and was now attacking them from every side at once.