Chapter 1

A cool breeze swirled through green-leaved oak trees as we children ran around. The forest was our play area we ventured safely within the magical barrier that kept the village safe.  Mother told me about the holy priests from the nearby holy city, Virtus.  Long ago when demons of the forest terrorized the village. They saved us from absolute destruction. There was no fear of the monsters of the land anymore. They can't get through the barrier. Our village lived in peace because of the protection of the divine barrier. The aching hot summer sun brought us here to the chilled open stream.  There were four of us, Roth, Shala, Jesper, and me.  We rolled our pants and sleeves then jumped around in the shallow clear water.
"Oh man doesn't this feel great?"Roth threw cupped hands of water in the air so that it rained over our heads. We all giggled at the cold drops that landed on us.
Roth was the most praised by the villagers as he was largest and oldest of all of us. He already had some muscle as he was helping his father everyday with village tasks.  But despite his appearance he was frightened of everything and would tremble at the sight of a butterfly.  He scooped up water with his large hands and flung it towards me but completely missed as it hit Jesper square in the face.  Jesper stood still for a moment then slowly wiped the water out of his eyes. Jesper was the complete opposite of Roth as he was practically skin and bones with a mop of light colored hair and two blue gemstones on his pale white skin. Suddenly he was kicking up water at both Roth and I.  We fought back scooping up water as fast as we could. Shala hid behind Roth as water was splashed all around. 
    Her hands covered her face as I kicked up water at her. She squealed when the water hit her grey dress soaking the the whole bottom.  In a matter of moments everyone was drenched in the satisfying cool water.  Our laughter echoed over the water, driving the animals to their burrows. 
"Well, aren't you four having fun?" The gentle cool voice washed over our party.  We all paused mid-action, looking to the source.  A woman whose presence spoke gentle elegance, her light blonde hair was tied up with loose curls hanging out.  Sweat and dirt clung to her face, and her faded blue dress was stained brown from mud.  She must have been working in the fields with father. 
"Hello, Mother." I replied nervously becoming aware of the muddy wet state that I was in and hid my hands behind my back.  She gently grabbed my hands and pressed them against my cheeks. "Hello, Aden"
She grinned at me and bent down towards the water.  We all squealed as she splashed us with one swoop.  Another water battle began as we all passed squeals of joy.  We all tired out quickly with the water reflecting pink and orange rays from the summer sunset.  We skipped down the path back to the village.
"Goodbye Jesper! Goodbye Roth! Goodbye Shala!" I called out, waving them goodbye as we split ways to our houses.
"Bye, Aden! We will play tomorrow!" Roth shouted back.  Parents waited for their children at the front entrances calling for them to hurry.  My own mother gestured me towards our house. "Come along now, Aden." On the way home I jumped on stones embedded in the ground as if it was a game.  My mother watches the sky as it turns into a purplish color.  I point to the first star that appears against the darkening sky.
"Mother, look it's the first star!" She doesn't even glance at it instead she looks onward down the street. She looks worried about something. "Mother, why can't we play outside when it's dark?"
Her brows soften as she looks at me then hardens again, "Aden, there are dark things when it gets dark. Why would you bother to play when you cannot see.  It's more fun to play in the light, correct?" I nod my head unsurely.  We reach our front door and we are greeted by my father who picks me up in his hard-working arms.
"You two are a little late... and wet." Noting our still drying clothes.
"We had to fight a sea dragon on our way back home." Mother smiles and leans in for a quick kiss. 
"A sea dragon huh?  You should have invited Mr. Sea Dragon to dinner." Father says raising his eyebrows revealing his dark blue eyes. "I'm sure he would have loved the stew I cooked up, we could have caught up on old times."  I giggled as father tickled under my arm.
"He had other arrangements.  Now let's not have the stew grow any colder." Mother pushed her way into the house and father and I followed.  We were presented with a sweet aroma of beef and potatoes.  I messily blow on a wooden spoon attempting to cool it down.  Mother and Father laughed as I accidentally blew all the stew from my spoon on to the table.  We finished and as Mother cleaned up the mess I begged Father to tell me another story of when he was a virtus knight.  I jumped on him until he finally surrendered to my wrath.  He took me off his lap and sat me down on the wooden floor.  For a moment he quizzically thought searching through his many memories.
"Ah! I know!" He brightened, holding up a finger, "This was one of my fondest memories of when I was a young lad.  I just finished slaying the giant spider and we were traveling back to Virtus with one of my companions injured.  We decided to camp out in a cave to seek shelter from all the monsters and demons that night, as it was to dangerous to travel at night.  Little did we know thought that it was home to the most fearsome bear of them all, White-eyed Ursa.  He had the most keen sense of smell and hearing but he could not see, for he was blind.  Even though he was blind he was powerful he swept away six knights with one paw.  We thought, 'For sure we are doomed.'  But then White-eyed Ursa crushed our pack that held the nasty remains and venom of the giant spider and it leaked out a nasty smell that distracted the bear."
Mother knelt next to me as Father continued his tale. 
"So then I had the brilliant idea to create noise with our swords and shield from all sides.  The bear was confused and angry but I was able to avoid it's swing arms.  I saw an open chance and I pierce the blade of the sword straight through it's heart." He stood and thrust his arm forward making a sound as if he were holding the same sword.  I stared at him in amazement as I could picture Father in shining armor and the large bear he slayed on the ground next to him.  If he was so powerful why is he working on a farm in a small village and not saving people as a knight? 
"Father?" I questioned, "Why aren't you a knight anymore?"
If he was so powerful why is he working on a farm in a small village and not saving people as a knight?
For a moment something dark crossed over his eyes but then he simply replied, "Well I met your mother and then we had you and I decided that there are things I can protect even if I'm not a knight." 
I stared at him admiringly as he held my mother's hand.  We sat there in a moment of silence as they stared into each other's eyes.  It was like they were have a full conversation without using words.  A yawn crept out of me and I rubbed my watering eyes which gained the attention of my parents.
"Oh my, it's quite late and this one should be getting to bed so he can go and see his friends tomorrow." Mother said standing up with the help of my father.
I was carried to my bed while my eyelids felt like weight was added to them.  I felt my mother's lips press against my forehead for a quick kiss.  I heard them whispering but I couldn't make out what they were saying.  I didn't even try pick out any words because I was quickly drifting off to sleep.  But I did hear some words that stuck out, "It won't be long until they find us."