Chapter 1 - Meet The Sanders

Indi Sky

It was my first day of sophomore year and I was beyond excited. I was no longer that scared little freshman living under my brother's shadow, yet not quite a seasoned upperclassmen. I was stuck somewhere in the middle, and I was perfectly okay with that.

I hopped out of bed to take care of my hygiene routine and get dressed. Once I finished showering I dressed in a pair of white cut up jeans, a blush colored cropped top that I tied up in the front and my peach colored Huaraches. I tossed my hair up into a high bun and made my way downstairs into the kitchen.

As usual, my mother was standing over the stove making breakfast for everyone. I walked up to her and kissed her cheek.

"Good morning mommy." I cooed.

She turned around and took in my outfit. "Oh my baby! You look so cute." She gushed.

I playfully rolled my eyes and sighed. "Please don't start mom."

"I'm sorry. It's just so hard to believe that you're actually starting your sophomore year of high school. Please go back to being a baby." She whined.

I laughed and walked over to the cabinet to get out the plates for us to eat. "Not gonna happen mom." I told her as I sat the plates down in front of her.

Soon, my brother Amir walked into the kitchen. He stopped mid-stride once he took in my outfit.

"Indi where the hell you think you going dressed like that?" he asked with his eyebrow raised. Amir was only one year older than me, but you would've sworn he was my father by the way he acted.

I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms across my chest. "I'm going to school where else Amir?"

Suddenly, my father appeared in the kitchen and smacked Amir in the back of the head. "Boy watch yo damn mouth and speak to your mother." He turned to me and raised an eyebrow. "He's right though babygirl, you need to put on some clothes."

Amir walked over to Mama and gave her a kiss on the cheek, then grabbed his plate out of her hand. "Sorry for cussin' ma." He mumbled.

She sent him a soft smile and looked at Daddy. "Let her wear the shirt Kellen. It's just a little bit of her stomach showing, plus her pants are high-waisted."

I silently thanked Mama before turning to Daddy with pleading eyes.

"Put on a jacket," was all he said before walking over to Mama and grabbing his plate as well.

I silently huffed before stalking off to the hall closet and grabbing my bomber jacket. I was only going to wear it out of the house, once I got to school I'd stuff it in my locker. Walking back into the kitchen, I grabbed the two remaining plates out of Mama's hands and walked to the table. I sat one down in front of me, and the other next to Daddy at Mama's place. We all bowed our heads and blessed the food before eating.