"are you always this rude?"

baz rolls his eyes again, ignoring the familiar stab of guilt that is worming its way though his gut.

"are you always this irritating?"

"damn. i guess you are always this rude. okay, that's cool. i'll leave you alone now, shall i?"

"that would be good."

for the rest of the journey, simon snow says nothing, but baz can feel his eyes burning a hole in his neck.

-----

they pull up outside school half an hour later, and baz is already pretty done with school. but he gets increasingly more done when he gets shoved off the bus by david mage, who proceeds drop him to the floor. he sits there on the pavement, and hisses at david's retreating figure. and then simon snow is behind him, pulling his up and handing him his hat, which has fallen off.

"what a prat! ignore him."

"yeah, sure. because he's definitely not in almost all of my classes or anything."

baz huffs and pulls the hat low over his hair, covering his kinda large forehead.

"come on, baz. he's not worth it."

"i know he's not, snow. okay? just shut up, please."

they walk in silence for a while, and baz watches the purple morning clouds rise over the figure of the school. it looks pretty ominous through the wrought iron fence, and simon looks apprehensive.

"do- i mean, if you want to, if you could, i mean, uh... please could you-"

"use your words, snow."

snow winces. bingo.

"could you show me around? if you want?"

"whatever."

baz takes snow to the office first. there's a timetable for him, and a homework diary. he stares at the timetable. oh, balls. snow's in his tutor group.

"what does it mean?"

"well- i mean... i think you have english first, and then science, and- ooh, you have art. and you're in my group."

simon smiles at him.

"thank you, baz. where's my tutor room?"

"we're in the same one. follow me."

and that's how baz ends up in his tutor base with simon snow sat next to him, whispering things about the other students in his ear.

"she's cute."

baz feels his stomach clench.

"that's agatha wellbelove, and she's an absolute cow."

"nah... she seems pretty cute."

"you have bad taste, snow."

"maybe."

-----

the day goes pretty fast, and baz finds himself wandering to the canteen. baz rarely eats; he hates eating in front of people and it seems pointless, really. he normally just sits at a table by the window and listens to music. but today, simon snow comes and sits at his table.

"hi baz."

"afternoon, snow."

"i made a friend!"

of course snow makes a friend on his first day, when baz hasn't made a single friend since he was seven years old.

"go on then, snow. enlighten me."

"penelope bunce."

"i think she's in my maths class. purple hair?"

"yeah." simon pauses. "baz, why aren't you eating?"

"not hungry."

"you gotta have something, dude."

"don't. call me dude. ever. again."

"sorry, bro."

"snow, seriously-"

"baz, seriously, you need to eat."

"whatever."

baz plucks a grape out of simon's lunchbox and pops it in his mouth.

"happy now?"

"not particularly. go get something from the vending machine, or something. you'll run out of energy."

"just shut up, snow. i'm not hungry, okay?"

"baz-"

"shut up."