Flight to the Ford

Start from the beginning

Soon Aragorn beckoned to them, and the girls and hobbits left the bushes and hurried down to the Road.

"Mae govannen, Arwen Undómiel," Devin greeted the gorgeous she-elf courteously in heavily accented Sindarin. Aragorn seemed surprised at her while the radiant she-elf tilted her head slightly and glanced between them. Arwen began to ask her something in Sindarin, but Devin had to hold up a hand and stop her. "Sorry, but I'm afraid that was the full extent of my Elvish."

"You know of me?" Arwen asked again in the common tongue.

"Your reputation precedes you," Devin replied calmly. It was easy to guess considering her good looks and the love in Aragorn's eyes when he beheld her. It had been a surprise to hear her deliver the same line that should have been spoken by Glorfindel, but at this point she was just glad to see an ally.

"And who is this?" Kitty asked, feeling a bit left out.

"This is Lady Arwen, daughter of Elrond, lord of Rivendell," Devin explained for the benefit of Kitty and the Hobbits.

"Oh. I see," said Kitty as she and the hobbits stared at the radiant she-elf appreciatively. "No wonder she's so ridiculously beautiful."

"Thank you, ...?" said Arwen with a somewhat bemused smile.

"These two are Devin Gladwin and Kitty Larson," Aragorn introduced the girls, gesturing to each in turn. "And this is Frodo."

"Hail, and well met at last," Arwen greeted the ring-bearer. "I was sent from Rivendell to look for you. We feared you were in danger upon the road."

"Then Gandalf has reached Rivendell?" Frodo cried joyfully.

"No. He had not when I departed; but that was nine days ago," answered Arwen.

Nine days? Kitty thought. Nine days out here, and she still looked this fabulous? Kitty really wanted to know her secret.

"My father received news that troubled him," Arwen went on to explain. "Some of my kindred, journeying in your land beyond the Baranduin, learned that things were amiss, and sent messages as swiftly as they could. They said that the Nine were abroad, and that you were astray bearing a great burden without guidance, for Gandalf had not returned. There are few even in Rivendell that can ride openly against the Nine; but such as there were, my father sent out north, west, and south. It was thought that you might turn far aside to avoid pursuit, and become lost in the wilderness.
"It was my lot to take the Road, and I came to the Bridge of Mitheithel, and left a token there, nigh on seven days ago. Three of the servants of Sauron were upon the bridge, but they withdrew. I came also upon two others, but they turned away southward. Since then I have searched for your trail. Two days ago I found it, and followed it over the Bridge; and today I marked where you descended from the hills again. But come! There is no time for further news. Since you are here we must risk the peril of the Road and go. There are five behind us, and when they find your trail upon the Road they will ride after us like the wind. And they are not all. Where the other four are, I do not know. I fear that we may find the Ford is already held against us."

While Arwen was speaking the shades of the evening deepened. Devin furrowed her brow slightly. Again, with no offense meant to the elf who came to their aid, she wondered where Glorfindel was. Even if she had not read the books, she would have found it very strange that Elrond would rather send his own daughter out on such a dangerous mission instead of a certified elf-warrior. As she pondered this, Frodo felt a great weariness come over him. Ever since the sun began to sink the mist before his eyes had darkened, and he felt that a shadow was coming between him and the faces of his friends. Now pain assailed him, and he felt cold. He swayed, clutching at Sam's arm.