"Come on. Let's give them a little quality family time to catch up," said Devin, leading Kitty away so the uncle and nephew could talk amongst themselves in peace.

"Aw, but I like Bilbo," Kitty said. "He's spicy."

"You can talk to him later," Devin said reasonably. "Let Frodo have dibs for now. He's been wanting to see his uncle for ages."

"I hear you are quite the musician, Miss Kitty," said Elrond, turning to face the girls. "If you would like, I can have your instrument brought  here to you."

"Oh! Yes, please!" said Kitty excitedly, lighting up like a Christmas tree.

"Thank you," Devin said, smiling at how happy her friend was to be playing for an audience again.

The girls took a seat near the fire while they waited and listened to the beautiful music being woven like a spell by the skilled Elven musicians, and were soon once again in the company of Gimli, Merry, and Pippin. Sam had seated himself nearer to Frodo and Bilbo while he also enjoyed the fired and listened to the music. Devin found herself unconsciously searching the room for Legolas. He was conversing with some of the Rivendell Elves who appeared to be his age. (But it was really hard to tell with Elves.) When the petite girl realized what she was doing, she quickly looked away before she was noticed, and turned her attention back to her friends.

Yep. Too much wine, she thought.

In the meanwhile Frodo and Bilbo exchanged stories of how they both came to be in Rivendell that night and the most recent news they had heard. Bilbo had not much to say of himself. When he left Hobbiton he had wandered off aimlessly, along the Road or in the country on either side; but somehow he had steered all the time towards Rivendell.

"I got here without much adventure," he said, "and after a rest I went on with the Dwarves to Dale: my last journey. I shan't travel again. Old Balin had gone away. I couldn't get in to see dear Edraithril; and she couldn't get out to see me. I'm afraid her traveling days are over as well. Then I came back here, and here I have been. I have done this and that. I have written some more of my book. And, of course, I make up a few songs. They sing them occasionally: just to please me, I think; for, of course, they aren't really good enough for Rivendell. And I listen and I think. Time doesn't seem to pass here: it just is. A remarkable place altogether.

"I hear all kinds of news, from over the Mountains, and out of the South, but hardly anything from the Shire. I heard about the Ring, of course. Gandalf has been here often. Not that he has told me a great deal, he has become closer than ever these last few years. The Dúnadan has told me more. Fancy that ring of mine causing such a disturbance! It is a pity Gandalf did not find out more sooner. I could have brought the thing here myself long ago without so much trouble. I have thought several times of going back to Hobbiton for it; but I am getting old, and they would not let me: Gandalf and Elrond, I mean. They seemed to think the Enemy was looking high and low for me, and would make mincemeat of me, if he caught me tottering about in the Wild.

"And Gandalf said: 'The Ring has passed on, Bilbo. It would do no good to you or others if you tried to meddle with it again.' Odd sort of remark, just like Gandalf. But he said he was looking after you, so I let things be. I am frightfully glad to see you safe and sound," he paused and looked at Frodo doubtfully.

"Have you got it here?" he asked in a whisper. "I can't help feeling curious, you know, after all I've heard. I should very much just like to peep at it again."

"Yes, I've got it," answered Frodo, feeling a strange reluctance. "It looks just the same as ever it did."

"Well, I should just like to see it for a moment," said Bilbo.