The Forest (Short Story)

Start from the beginning

I remember that day vividly. It was a Sunday, we woke up just before dawn and our father took us both to the forest, like he always did. We were young, about ten maybe? Father set out animal snares to catch rabbits, and we ate whatever bread we had brought as we awaited the beautiful sunrise patiently. After that, we ran around in the forest, played hide and seek, father even helped us climb a few trees. But the wind was stronger than usual. That’s when it happened.

Ash and I went off to see if some of the snares had caught anything, and father went to go check the others. I was not far away when I was releasing a dead rabbit from one of the successful snares, not aware of where Ash was. The entire forest fell silent. A solitary sparrow let out a piercing warning cry before the creaking of the tree reverberated through the dense foliage. I turned swiftly on my heel only to see Ash paralysed, enthralled by the dying creature. I saw father appear in the clearing further away. He yelled for Ash to move as he began to sprint to Ash’s rescue. But he was too far away to reach him. I could have possibly got there in time, but I too was captivated by the beast’s sad beauty to move.

Father and I both blamed ourselves for Ash’s death. He should never have left two ten year olds, no matter how capable he thought we were. I should have ran to save him, not just watch.

He was my twin brother. We were supposed to feel some kind of connection, an unbreakable bond. But when I let him die, I broke that bond. I deserve to be alone.

I also feel sort of responsible for my mother’s death, not in the same way as my brother’s, but there is still underlying guilt. My mother died during childbirth, complications arose due to her having twins. I can’t help but feel as though if I wasn’t born, she’d still be alive. We never got to meet her, but maybe if I wasn’t born, then Ash would have had the chance?

Somber in colour, the sky is heavy with the bitter cold wind. Daggers of ice slice past my unprotected face, compelling me to retreat further into the warmth of the fleece.

When I finally reach my haven, I have plenty of time to place a few snares and cautiously meander through the scattered trees. Winter has begun to engulf the whole forest, some branches are becoming naked, with their crispy leaves sounding my arrival as I walk, whereas the majority are pine trees and they are as green as ever.

Once I reach the clearing, the trees stand proud, shoulder to shoulder, surrounding a luscious meadow of viridian grass. I sit patiently on a fallen tree trunk, nibbling on some bread and sipping some water I had brought. Suddenly, as if from nowhere, rays of scintillating amber and sanguine radiate down through the canopy of trees, illuminating the whole pasture. Soon enough the frigid cloak of air is replaced by a welcomed mild glow.

As though only just awakening, my senses become attentive to the array of activity now arousing in the forest. Birds sing a euphonic melody that resonates between the trees. The fresh earthy smell only now floods my airways, causing me to inhale deeply with immeasurable delight. Wisps of air thread through the malachite green grass causing it to gently caress my ankles. The coarse bread has now become a sweet flurry of sensation as I have begun to chew less frequently.

I too begin to revive my inert body, releasing it from the meadow’s enthralling beauty. I drift through the forest effortlessly, dodging fallen trunks and branches, not nearly as agile as the common wildlife that call this their home.

I involuntarily look behind me as if to check Ash’s whereabouts, only to remember the intense memory that remains in his place. Convulsions begin to strike through my body as the agony rises to the surface. I can’t help but remember the trance he appeared to be in, the panic in my father’s voice, how I remained motionless too. The overpowering crash reverberates in my mind as I try to overcome the pain. I feel as though I am constricted by a creature winding its body around me tighter and tighter, causing me to slowly suffocate as I await my inevitable death.