"I'm fine," Naomi says, looking away from us.
The pink in her cheeks tells me she's lying.

"Why are you at home, then?"

Lexi pulls away from her for a moment, sitting on the wooden porch on her knees. I slide down to sit with them, letting my feet dangle off the edge.

"I requested a reassignment," Naomi mumbles.

The words tear through me like a wrecking ball. My heart nearly stops, melting into my ribcage. I glance at Lexi, who just nods. Her eyes have no confusion in them.

"What happened? Why would you request a reassignment?"

Naomi looks at me then at the ground, all the while knitting her hands together in her lap. She rips at the skin around her fingernails, balling it up and tossing it off the side of the porch.

"It haunts me," she whispers, not looking at us, "I keep seeing myself surrounded by the bodies of all those victims. I feel their blood on my hands, and I wake up choking on it at night. I don't think I'm cut out for this. Maybe I'm mentally unstable."

I scowl at her, reaching out and putting a hand on her knee. She jerks away, looking up at me finally.

"You're not a MU," I say, shaking my head, "Don't put yourself down like that."

"I can't look at anyone in the bunks the same," she whispers, panicked, "I keep seeing them covered in debri and holding those stupid guns. It's like I'm watching myself from behind glass, and that doesn't even make sense."

She puts her head in her hands, letting out a single sob.

"It's okay, Naomi," Lexi says, putting a hand on the girls' back, "I understand. You can leave if you want."

"What? No. No, she can't," I say, glaring at Lexi.

"Shut up, Quinn," she snaps, "You can't understand what she's going through. I do. I see it, too. It haunts me, too. I can't leave, though; Riley is at home waiting on me."
I take a deep breath, shaking my head.

"No," I repeat, "You can't leave, Naomi."

"Are you going to command me to stay?" she whispers, looking up at me. I inhale suddenly, scooting away from her. She sighs, nodding, "I thought you might, after you made Lexi shoot that woman. I'm glad to see you haven't turned altogether."

What does she mean 'turned'?

I stare at her, gritting my teeth until my jaw starts to ache.

"When are you leaving?" Lexi asks, gently stroking her forehead with a hand.

Naomi opens her mouth to answer, but the sound of a truck horn sounds.

"Now," she whispers, pushing herself up, "I've already said goodbye to my parents. They don't want to come to the gate; it's too much for them. They don't get it either."

"We'll come see you off," I blurt, the ache in my chest spreading like wildfire. Lexi shoots me a look.

"How? Only parents are allowed at reassignment," Naomi says, walking down the steps.

"You won't see us, but we will see you," I say, grabbing her elbow. She looks at me, frown deeper than the sea behind us. "You're not alone, Naomi. You never were. I wish you knew that."

She smiles lightly, nodding her head.

"Thanks, Quinn," she whispers, saying something I don't hear over the sound of the truck horn again. She hugs Lexi then, turning to me and pulling me into a hug. I breathe in the scent of her, the saltwater smell of her hair and peppermint of her skin. My cheek against hers is soft, like I'm resting against a pillow at home. I can feel the warmth off her body, enveloping me.