Chapter 19 - Rania

Start from the beginning

"How did it go?"

"Could have been better. The man's lost his daughter, and he's sick too. Coughing and spluttering all over the place. I tried not to touch anything, but it made me want to drink a bottle of that alcohol hand sanitiser just in case."

"I don't suppose he's going to have a great Christmas."

"No, I don't suppose he is. And when I asked a few questions about Arthur, he wanted to know why I was looking into a twelve-year-old suicide rather than his beloved daughter's murder."

"What did you tell him?"

"That two deaths in the same building was unusual, so I had to consider the possibility of a connection."

"Did he believe that?"

"He just huffed and reminded me I was here because of Helene."

"If only Arthur wasn't so stubborn."

Will hooked one arm around the backs of my legs and pulled me closer. "Reminds me of somebody else I know."

I looked down as he smiled up at me, his face level with... No, I shouldn't even be thinking about that. Not that I'd ever experienced that pleasure, but I'd read about it. And with Will touching me, my brain went all frazzled again.

"I need to get to work."

"And I need to visit a potential new client. But I'll be back later to pick you up. Is Shannon still offering dinner?"

I nodded.

"Stay safe."

Then he was gone, and I sank onto the bucket in his place, legs shaking. I'd become so much more fragile since I left Syria. Back then, the need to survive had overridden everything, but now I had time to think and analyse, and the more I thought, the more confused I got about everything.

Simple answer: don't think.

Clean. I needed to clean.

By the time I heard a car pull up outside in the quiet of the night, Daylesford Hall was sparkling. I'd even polished the bannisters. And whatever car Will was driving, it didn't purr quietly like the BMW. Low, black, and mean-looking, it certainly wasn't a family hatchback.

"What is it?" I asked as he climbed out to open the door for me.

"A Porsche 911. RJ likes his toys."

I could see that. It felt like climbing into a spaceship, if a spaceship were done out in tasteful leather and chrome. I breathed deeply. The car reeked of money.

"Still got that new-car smell," Will said. "He's only had it a couple of weeks."

"And he doesn't mind you driving it?"

"RJ doesn't get precious about things like that. But if I touched one of his computers, he'd chop my fingers off."

"Thanks for the warning. If I ever meet him, I mean."

"You'll meet him tomorrow. I need to travel to Nottingham to speak to Celia Marr, so he'll be picking you up in the evening."

"Honestly, there's no need for that. I can catch the bus."

"You can, but you won't be."

Now the stench of testosterone mixed with the pungent aroma of the leather, and in the confined space, Will's determined presence threatened to overwhelm me. At least we'd be home soon. Shannon could help to balance things out a bit.

Except... "What are all those lights ahead?"

We'd rounded a bend on one of the narrow country lanes that led between Daylesford Hall and Enderby village proper, and stationary cars stretched ahead as far as the eye could see.