A realization, a sorting, a fit

“I guess I will see you guys later.” I stood stretching slightly.

“Aren’t you going to ride up to the castle with us?” Hermione asked quizzically.

“Oh no it’s fine. I will be fine.” I stated grabbing my carry on things and walking out the door with their odd looking face’s staring at my back. I quickly ran down the corridor and found my brother and his group. Blaise sent a wink my way but I just shook my head.

“So little sis how was the ride?” Draco smirked and through his arm around me much to Pansy’s dislike.

“It was great big bro I made some really great friends.” I jumped around sarcastically causing most of the gang to laugh. “Oh I just can’t believe I got to sit with THE Harry Potter.” I said now going into fan girl phase. “He even looked at me.” I squealed and the boys just shook their heads. I skipped around singing “I got to sit with Harry Potter and his loser friends.” Just then I bumped into someone. Of course it was Boy Potter himself and I just smirked at him with my arms folded.

“Can you sign my arm Mr. Potter?” Blaise laughed coming up next to me holding out his arm.

“Oh, me too.” The other boys ran over shoving their arms in his face. Potter just looked shocked.

“Don’t worry Potter I know exactly how you feel” I smirked at him and his eyes went wide.

“What’s wrong Potter? My little sister bugging you?” Draco came up beside me with the same smirk.

“You’re what?” Weasley coughed out mouth wide open.

“Sister, Weasley. You have yours and I have mine… although mine is much better looking.” Draco grinned as Weasley tried to step forward fists raised but the three girls behind him held him back.

“Now if you excuse us, my brother and I are tired of wasting our time with you.” I grabbed Draco and waved back at the pathetic group of friends.

“Oh my dear little sister that was bloody brilliant.” Draco smiled down at me as we loaded a carriage. ‘Strange.’ I thought to myself ‘Draco said they pulled themselves but yet what is this creature pulling it now?’ I kept my thoughts to myself though and just smiled proudly at my brother.

“Back for another year at this pathetic excuse of a school.” Blaise sighed and Draco nodded in agreement. I just sighed at the both of them. I had dreamed of coming here for years. My last school in America was a sad excuse for a school. Whenever I came home for summer breaks I would listen so intently to Draco’s stories of Hogwarts. The carriage came to a stop and I looked up to see the beautiful castle I had dreamed of. It was even more perfect then I had imagined. I hurriedly climbed out of the carriage and stared up at it in awe.

“Pretty isn’t it?” Blaise whispered softly in my ear and I shivered slightly.

“Beautiful.” I whispered back and climbed the stairs to the giant doors. As we all walked in I could help but feel giddy inside. The outside was beautiful but the inside was, in one word, gorgeous.

“Miss Malfoy I have been waiting for you.” An old women with her hair pulled back into a tight bun approached them. “I am Professor McGonagall.” She said looking down at all of us. “Please follow me.” I waved at the gang and followed the older women down some hallways and into a back room. “You will wait here until the headmaster calls your name.” She stated firmly and I nodded back at her. McGonagall then walked out the door leaving it slightly ajar so I could hear what was going on in the Great Hall. The headmaster gave a welcome speech and then they started calling up first years to be sorted. It was almost a half hour before I finally heard my name called.

“Bellatrix Malfoy.” Professor McGonagall called I sighed, I really hate my full name. I walked out of the room I was confided to and approached the stool. I thought to myself how pointless it was for them to even try to sort me; everyone knew every Malfoy that has walked these halls has been in Slytherin. I sit with a humph as the stern women sets the mangled hat on my head.

“I see… a Malfoy. You have some of the heartlessness of your family past but you have something else there.”

‘What is it?’ I thought to the hat.

“Kindness. You have a kind heart in here as well. I know why you are here; I know what you did in America.” The hat said into my thought and I gulped loudly. “You are very brave for what you have done.” I shook my head. “You doubt yourself but someday soon you will understand.”

‘Understand what?’ I asked him and his answer was simple.

“GRYFFINDOR!” He bellows loudly but there was no point the whole Hall was silent. There was no cheering, not even a clap. As the hat was removed from my head I didn’t move an inch. I was frozen to the stool that had just led me to my doom. The sound came from behind me that caused me to jump slightly. Clapping was coming from the teachers but the students remind silent. I quickly glanced at my brother but his eyes were looking at his empty plate rather than the little sister who had just disgraced the family name.

“Miss Malfoy please take your seat.” McGonagall said pushing me slightly towards the table. I of course sat at the end of the table alone with every pair of eyes watching me.

“Let the feast begin.” Dumbledore said as food appeared in front of us. I didn’t touch anything, how could I eat right now. The room was full of whispers now and I knew they were about me. Anger took over me and I stood up causing silence again.

“Is this some kind of sick joke?” I yelled up at the teachers who stared at me shocked. “Huh? Did you think it would be funny to but me in this horrid house filled with blood traitors?” A few professors stood but Dumbledore motioned for them to stay seated. “You just wait until my father hears what you have done.” I yelled at him this time taking a step towards him.

“Miss Malfoy please take your seat and we will discuss this after the feast.” He stated calmly and with a smile.

“There is nothing to discuss your hat is broken.” I folded my arms in front of me almost in a childish way but what did I care. This isn’t how it is suppose to be.

“I promise all will be made right Miss Malfoy but for now please enjoy the feast that many have worked hard and long to prepare.” He said with yet another smile. I stamped my foot and walked out of the Great Hall. This isn’t how it is suppose to be. This isn’t right.