Chapter Two: The Dreaded News

Start from the beginning

Emory opened the door to the Gryffindor Common Room and allowed everyone to go through. Nicole and Elowen laughed when they walked past Emory into the common room and he also proceeded to shake his head.

When the door closed, Emory stepped onto the stairs quickly as it began to move. He was brought to the same platform Ophelia was once on and looked up to see Ophelia walking into the seventh-floor corridor. As he patiently waited for the stairs to move, he thought about what Headmaster Dippet and Professor Posen said to him when he met them in the Headmaster's office.

Once Emory was in the seventh-floor corridor he followed Ophelia's lit wand into the Room of Runes, his and Ophelia's usual place to meet up at night, also their classroom for the Study of Ancient Runes.

As Emory walked Ophelia turned and smiled at her boyfriend and they embraced each other into their arms.

"I have news, good and bad," Emory exclaimed.

"What is it?"

"Professor Posen is retiring at the end of the school year."

"What? That's terrible, he is one of my favourite teachers."

"Yes, it is bad news." Emory began a small smile forming on his face. "But, I have been offered his job, and I accepted. So, it looks like I will be a Hogwarts professor after all."

Ophelia looked up at her boyfriend. "Emory, that's excellent news! But is that what you've been hiding from me all summer?"

Emory looked away, "Lia, if I could have, you know I would have told you as soon as the letter came through the door, I didn't want to risk it."

Ophelia nodded her head as she understood, a weight had been lifted off of her shoulders.

"There's something else," Emory muttered

"What's wrong?"

"Student and teacher relationships are forbidden; I could lose my job within the first week. The Ministry would have my wand." Emory frowned, reaching out for his girlfriend's small hand. They were smooth and slightly cold, but soon warmed up when they adjusted to his warm hands.

Ophelia stayed quiet.

"Lia, say something." Emory pleaded.

She looked up to her boyfriend and smiled. "I knew there wasn't going to be a happy ending."

"Ophelia, it'll be alright we've got the rest of this year, and from then it's only a nine-month period, we'll be back together in no time," he comforted her, he wasn't too sure that what he was saying was even true.

"We'll be fine," she gave him a small but slightly reassuring smile.

"Yeah, we will be."

"It's getting late, better get back to our common rooms," Ophelia stated.

"Yeah," Emory agreed.

As they walked out into the corridor towards the fully lighten stairwell they leaned in and kissed each other goodbye.

"I will see you tomorrow, and the first Quidditch match of the term is on October 1st, against Slytherin," Emory spoke.

"You dare beat my own house and I will ignore you for a week." Ophelia laughed walking to her stair that had just settled at the top of the platform.

"You know I will. Slytherin Quidditch players suck." Emory laughed with her, waving goodbye.

Ophelia took one last glance at her boyfriend until he left to walk down his set of stairs towards Gryffindor Tower.

Ophelia took a slow walk back to the Dungeons as she knew as soon as she entered the common room, Tom would be waiting for her, filled with rage as she did not turn up.

As she walked the empty halls of Hogwarts Castle she admired the architecture of the Castle and how beautiful the four founders made it. Once she reached the steps to the Dungeons she hesitated for a minute, eventually proceeding down the small flight of stairs, she took a left towards a dead end, a looked around to see if anyone was there.

"Pure-blood," Ophelia spoke, cringing at her own common room password. Yes, Ophelia was indeed herself a pure-blood, but being a pure-blood in the Slytherin house would automatically make you a muggleborn hater. In Ophelia's case, the belief that muggleborns are a disgrace to the wizarding community was in fact, incorrect. Her best friend, Dove, was a muggleborn, and bloody-damn proud one in that respect. The wall started to rumble and the bricks pulled away, one by one until it left a hole in the wall revealing the small corridor into the Slytherin Common Room with a small green light at the end of the corridor.

As she stepped into the narrow corridor the wall behind began to seal back up and she continued to walk down the small, dimly lit corridor, and to her dismay, there he was, Tom Riddle sitting in the middle of one of the sofas staring straight at her. You could tell he was angry at her just by the way his usual bright green eyes, had now darkened and his harsh glare was enough to send even a Professor running. She kept her eye contact with him as she quietly started to hum as she walked down the steps further into the sitting area, she knew this made him irritate even further but, she liked it when he was mad with her, as he never yelled at her the way he did to his most loyal followers, he would only snap a tiny bit and make one or two snarky comments before he sighed and let her go to bed.

"Sneaking out with Emory again, are we?" Tom asked. His voice was stern, it was a lot softer than it usually was, it was like he had just found out for the first time.

"Well Tom, I do have a boyfriend, who to maintain our relationship, we need to see each other even if it means breaking school rules," Ophelia said.

"Sounds like you're trying to convince yourself and not me," Tom raised his eyebrows.

"And why would that be? Actually, don't answer that," Ophelia whined, "Is that all, Tom? I would really like to go to bed and get some sleep."

Tom hesitated for a second until he simply nodded his head and sighed. Ophelia gave him a small smile and left from where she was standing to the stairwell leading to the girl's dorms.

As Ophelia climbed up the stairs to her dormitory she heard Tom mutter to himself, she found it amusing how he always mutters to himself whenever she leaves him after he's given her half a lecture.

As she opened the door to the sixth year dormitory she looked at the last available bed, she smiled as the bed was near the small window looking out onto the Black Lake. Most times at night you would often see a few of the lake's creatures come to the surface and swim by.

Ophelia quickly crept across the cold room towards her bed and opened her trunk full of clothes and grabbed a white nightgown. As she took off her robe she felt the cold air of the dungeon chamber hit her skin instantly, as she continued to undress small goose bumps began to form on her skin with the small hairs on her arms beginning to stand up.

She quickly put on her nightgown, as it flowed down her body she felt the soft material against her. A small breeze swept through the chamber and that was enough to prompt Ophelia to climb in bed instantly.

The thick covers warmed her up within seconds, she lay there thinking about Tom's previous threat from earlier, he always said he'd hurt her, but never once did he lay a finger on her. Tom Riddle may act big and tough in front of his followers, but in reality, Tom Riddle is still that small, quiet boy that she met in Ollivander's in August 1938.