2. Let the flames begin

Start from the beginning

"So what, am I going to be your second victim?" I snarled. "Couldn't stick to killing one teenager?"

Mark didn't answer. "You'd best not struggle. Otherwise we'll never get to use those Christmas lights again."

This was it, I was going to die. Despite Mark's lack of response, I knew he was going to kill me. Why wouldn't he? I had exposed his lies to his family, and the only thing standing inbetween him and his dead daughter.

"Did you ever care about me?" I asked quietly, a broken note hitting my voice.

Mark finally looked at me. "I was furious when Dumbledore told us to keep you." He sat in front of me, examining me like I was a experiment to observe. "But I couldn't refuse him on the spot, as he didn't know I was on the Dark Lord's side. So I planned to take you to the nearest orphanage."

"But you didn't."

"Thank Jenna." Mark said through pursed lips. "She said it was a second chance, something that we could get right this time. I suppose it helped you looked the spitting image of our dead daughter."

"Why do I look like her?" I asked quietly.

"Did you know that there are seven people in the world who look exactly like you?" Mark said curiously. "And apparently we walk past three murderers in our lifetime."

"Well that's true." I said venomously. "So really, did you ever care?"

"After it became clear that Jenna was attracted, I simply pretended you were Robyn." Mark said simply. "There was no hope at getting her back, so I thought I was stuck with her double. But Aurora, where do you think the nickname Rory came from?"

I felt slightly sick. "You only called me that because it sounded like Robyn a little bit?" I shook my head in disbelief. "I just thought that you'd picked it up from my parents."

"I didn't see them after I dropped out of Hogwarts, not really." Mark said, his eyes lost in memory. "But if I remember rightly, you and your brother were born in the same hospital as Robyn."

"He won't bring her back." I said harshly. "Neither will my parents, or Kayley. That's life Mark, and you have to accept that they aren't coming back!"

"But we can meet them." Mark said slowly, a mad glint appearing in his eyes. "A fire, created to kill just the two of us."

"What about your whole master plan to get Robyn back?" I said, my voice shaking.

"I've failed her, and I've failed Jenna as well." Mark said bitterly. "But I can do one good thing, and that is to rid the world of both of us. No pain, no guilt, no grief... Would that be so bad, Aurora?"

"You're mental."

"I know." Mark said calmly. "But that won't matter for very long. Neither will the darkness slowly surrounding you."

I felt sick, nervous and guilty all at the same time, rushing over me in a tidal wave. Why did I come here? I was going to be killed, by the one man who had destroyed my life. I had wanted revenge, it had been my only thought over the holidays.

But what about Harry, Gennie, Cole and my other friends? I hadn't told them where I was going. If I was going to die.... they'd never see me again. They wouldn't see me as I was. They would just see me, mad.

Because I was mad, wasn't I? I had been considering killing him. I may have loathed Mark with every bone inside my body, but what about Hollie, Jenna and Lacey? They still loved him in some way. And I would be tearing their family apart.

And did that make me any different from Voldemort?

"Inciendo!" Mark shouted, pointing his wand at the Christmas tree. It burst into flames, shocking me. I didn't think he'd actually set anything on fire.