Chapter 12

*Charlotte's POV*
I looked up at Ray who still held my hand. He looked at me with bright eyes and what seemed to be a heavy heart. I could almost feel his aura project onto mine. It was melancholy. I rubbed my thumb across the back of his hand and spoke out to break the silence.

"I'm glad you are here, Ray. You are very special to me. I'm so glad you are in my life."

His face flushed a light shade of red as a smile stretched across his face. Peter cleared his throat and stood up with Dana on his arm.

"Welp... We need to head out... we have a lot of things to do. Maybe you should come too, Ray. Give the couple some private time."

Peter spoke with a rude undertone. Ray shot him a nasty glare that I didn't understand, and all the light feelings left his eyes. He spoke sternly towards Peter.

"Don't do this right now, Peter. She doesn't need it."

Just as Peter was about to leave, a doctor walked in with two nurses behind him. He scanned the room and made eye contact with Egon.

"Dr. Spengler, we need an x-ray of your back to see if there is any damage to your vital organs or if there is any damage to the flank muscle tissue. So we are going to get you out of here and down to the x-ray room, and then you can eat. We don't want to see your lunch in the x-ray hahaha."

The nurses transferred Egon to a gurney and wheeled him out of the room, everyone said their goodbyes as he left. I just watched him. He looked so tired. So drained... And it was pretty much all my fault. As the doctor followed him out, everyone trailed behind. Louis shot me a half smile as he closed the door behind me. The sound of the closing door echoed through the empty room. Ray turned to look back at me and smiled. We were alone together for the first time. It felt very nice. He was so genuine with his feelings. I could open up to Ray about anything.

"Ray, I just want to thank yo-"

It all happened in a matter of seconds. He leaned in... And kissed me.

And the worst part?

I couldn't help but kiss back..

His kiss was sudden and passionate, but soft and shy. He exhaled through his nose and broke the kiss. His face was bright red and his eyes sparkled. His genuine face gave me butterflies in my stomach. He stood from my bed, and walked towards the door.

"Ray... How long have you felt that way?"

He didn't turn back to look at me, but his voice sent chills up my spine.

"Since the day I met you, Charlotte."

"But what about Egon?"

He put his hand on the doorknob and turned his head a little and gave me a sorrowful look.

"You have no idea..."

Ray opened the door and stepped out. The door shut behind him and left another echo through the room. Only this time- it was more painful to tolerate...

I decided to put the thought in the back of my mind. I turned to my side, and shut my eyes to slip into the last true deep sleep I would experience in a long time.