Chapter 6

I entered through the door of my apartment.. Everything dusty, unkept, sad-looking. I rubbed underneath my eyes as I walked into my bedroom. I placed my suitcases and bags at the foot of my bed and left for the bathroom.
The reflection I saw was hollow and empty. The loss of my mother took a toll on me, and on top of that, having to stay at my fathers side 24/7 in lower Pennsylvania for four months.
Upon closer inspection, I noticed dark circles under my eyes, my face breaking out, and above all, I noticed regret. The thought of his big brown eyes brought tears to mine.
"Oh... Egon... I can't stand the fact that I hurt you."
The phone in my living room started to ring, I stood up straight and rubbed the tears from my eyes. I went to the living room to answer the phone.
"Hello?"
"Oh my god.. You finally answered. I knew you were coming back today and I kept phoning your apartment hoping you would answer."
"Ray? Why are you calling me?"
"Charlie, you might have been gone for four months, but you haven't been fired. Down to the station. Now."
The line went dead and the monotone ring made it clear that Ray hung up on me. I hung up the phone and leaned on the wall. It felt like a nuclear holocaust was going on in my head.
"Are they not happy to have me back?"

     Summer in late June was not my favorite season. Hot, dry, sticky weather forcing me to wear clothing that I was not comfortable in. But I still got dressed in appropriate clothing and caught a cab to HQ.

     The familiar feeling of walking into the station was gone. It felt cold. And it wasn't the type of cold that would be refreshing on a day like this... It was was the type of cold that didn't make you feel welcome at all.
     I placed my bag on my desk that was covered in dust. A stack of papers and a metaphorical punch in my gut. Nobody was in the lobby, so I searched the station for my co-workers.
     First, I checked the basement to see if Ray was down their cleaning ghost traps, not a sign.
     Next I checked Peters office to see if he was writing a report or answering a phone call, no dice.
     I heard muffled voices behind the door to the living room. The door was almost closed, but only an open crack was available to me. I checked to see if anyone was inside and I could see winston talking to someone who sounded like Ray.
     I quietly opened the door and all eyes turned to me. I scanned the room to see everyone sitting on the couches provided. Ray was the first to stand, allowing a perfect view of Egon who was looking straight ahead.
"Charlie... Y-You're earlier than I thought you would be.
The sound of my name caused Egon's head to snap in my direction with surprised eyes. Ray walked up to me and turned back to Egon.
"Egon... Charlie's back.. Now we can contin-"
Rays sentence was cut short by Egon standing up to greet me.
*Ahem* "Uh, welcome back Charlie.. It's.. Uh, good to see you again.
     Egon pulled me out of the living room and brought me to my desk. He pulled up a chair and sat next to me. We talked about my dad, how I was, and other useless topics. He was distant, almost as if he was hiding something.
     He got up and walked to the door of the living room, stopped and turned around.
"Charlie, would you like to go out to dinner? Or... Anywhere really?"
I nodded and he turned back to the living room door and left.
     I slumped down in my chair and rubbed my face... This should be interesting...