Chapter 10-- moving on

I

 am not sure about this Sheila” Alexandria protested.

“You can never be sure of anything,” her stepmother forced, “now go and try this on”

Alexa diligently took the dress from her stepmother’s proffered hand and headed to the fitting rooms. Oh, how she hated shopping! However, try as she might, she could not get out of this one.

She and Sheila strived to put their differences aside because of their mutual love for her father.

Michael had insisted on them going on this shopping spree. Since she had come to visit or rather, stay with them a month ago, she had never gone out. Montana was a long way away from Malibu and she wanted to break all contact with that kind of world. She was on a mission, to forget about the one man she had loved and move on.

The second time around was even more painful.

Fool me once, shame on you but fool me twice…

Alexa shook her head and tried to dispel the unhappy thoughts that were creeping into her mind.

She found a vacant room and went in. she had not intended on trying the dress on but she changed her mind and soon she was covered in the most elegant and stylish gown. It was red and there were small diamond studs running from the front and down one side of the gown and had a slanting vent all the way from her thigh to the hem. It was sexy yet conservational. It was not the kind of the dress that Alexa would have chosen from hundreds on a rack but she had to admit, it was fitting of her.

Before she could take it off, there was a soft tap on the fitting room door and Alexa opened it a crack and was not shocked when she saw Sheila there with a shop attendant at her heels carrying over a dozen clothing materials.

“thought you would want to try some of these,” she said

“Sheila, seriously, I don’t need all of those” Alexa replied, feeling slightly sorry for the girl who looked harassed.

“You never know darling,” she said as she pushed the door wider, “hope you are decent”

Alexa looked at her stepmother, the person who had revived her father’s almost dead soul.

Sheila was not unattractive; she was in fact very beautiful. She had once been an actress although that hadn’t worked out well. Her once blonde hair was now greying and surprisingly, she had let it. Her nails were perfectly manicured, her face perfectly made up and she wore immaculate clothes, all of them costing a fortune.

Everything about her said, rich, successful and confident.

Sheila clasped her hands together, “darling!” she exclaimed, “but you are beautiful. Is she not so, Esmeralda?” she asked of the attendant who nodded vigorously.

“Thank you” she turned to the mirror, “you like?”

“I do but it’s time to try the others.”

“Tell you what; I’ll buy this one if you don’t make me try the others on.”

“But—”

“No Sheila, deal?”

She gave a little shrug, “okay, I’m getting kind of hungry anyways. Lets wrap this up, there’s a restaurant serving the best sea food ever” she turned to Esmeralda, “will you ring these up?” she handed her credit card over.

Alexa, who was about to close the door protested, “l can’t let you do that. It’s my dress and l’ll pay”

“You owe me lunch” Sheila said mischievously and headed to the lingerie section of the store.