Appear, Disappear

2-24-14

Appear, Disappear

-^-

There is a girl. She's sitting at the table. The meal before her is perfect: veggies, fruits, and a PB+J sandwich made with organic peanut butter and whole wheat bread. She leans in and laughs at something she has just heard. Her long hair reflects the dazzling sunlight and bounces in waves, bending to the wind's will. There are two girls beside her and two more across. She turns to the female on her right and says something with a wide smile. Then both girls are nodding enthusiastically and spreading their contagious grins. Their laughter is loud and rings out through the room.

-^-

Here is another girl. She wants to be with her friends, but they all have something they need to do. This girl is left with no option but her home. She has to go there sooner or later, and ironically it's too late for later. When she reaches her door, she moves slowly, quietly, steadily. She does not want to be heard. But after opening the door three inches, her arm is quickly gripped by a large, rough hand. She is pulled inwards and the door is slammed behind her. This girl is thrown against the wall. This girl is slapped. This girl falls.

She leaves herself for a while. She leaves the nasty words being spat at her, the two grey eyes, the repeated harsh touch of those scarred palms, the foul smell of alcohol on his breath. She leaves it all and closes her eyes.

Soon, he will stop. Soon, she will get up and decide what clothes will cover her bruises tomorrow. She'll finish her homework, study for another test she knows she'll ace. Soon, she'll sneak back downstairs to find her father asleep in his chair, a bottle in his grasp, as she scavenged for something to eat not beyond it's expiration date. Soon, she'll get into bed and go back to that place behind her eyelids. Soon, her alarm will welcome her back to reality.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

-^-

This girl wears skinny jeans. This girl has the perfect body. This girl will go back to that table of friends. Friends jealous of her leanness. This girl is envious of their full bodies, full bellies. This girl does not get much to eat.

-^-

This girl is sitting at a table. The meal before her is almost perfect: vegetables and fruits that look a little soft. A sandwich with bread that appears slightly green and organic peanut butter she got for Christmas two years ago. This girl leans in and laughs too hard at what she just heard. This girl's hair catches light, but seems to stick together. She tells a joke to the girl on her right. Her smile does not quite seem to reach her eyes. This girl's laughter is quieter, softer than the rest.

-^-

These are all the same girl.

But I do not know that.

I watch from my table and see only this scene, only this part of her life. A small voice whispers in my head.

-^-

She's got it all and I'd give anything to be her, to have her life...

Inspired by A.B.