Chapter 1

Saturday Afternoon
  "OMG!!!!" Someone screams. Not just someone. It's my best friend Carrie.

I groaned. "Is it necessary for you to scream that loud in my ear?" Carrie comes to my house like everyday after school since she has her license and can leave whenever. My parents are never around so they could care less.

"Um yea! It is when you find out that Jayden Brown is coming back to school!" Jayden Brown is Carries crush since 6th grade who left last year to be a foreign exchange student for a year.

"Oh good you can just continue staring at him from afar." I smirked. She really needs to move on. She needs to live her normal high school life with out worrying about all things Jayden. That's one thing you should know about me. I like things normal.

She looked defensive. "You never know maybe this will be the year I actually ask him out." She looked really proud of herself.

"Carrie," I started, "we are juniors. We can't be thinking of boys and all that. We should be looking at colleges and getting ready. We don't have time for 6th grade crushes! I can't graduate without my best friend. You being a super senior would not be normal at all. And-"

"Oh my god Vanessa chill out! You are overthinking all this!" She rolled her eyes. "It's the beginning of our junior year. We should enjoy it. And you need to put yourself out there! We are gonna go partying every Friday and you are going to enjoy it like a normal teen!" Of course she used the word normal. Like I said normal is my thing. I hate anything going different. I like things to be exactly the same and never different from everything else.

"Okay" I am not even going to try and argue with her. There is really no point. She will always win in the end to be honest. And maybe it will be good for me. I really do need to put myself out there. That's normal right? I have been so obsessed with doing things right that I haven't really had the fun I was supposed to have in my years of high school. Hell I haven't ever had a first date, a first kiss, first love, first... I've never even had a boyfriend. Carrie has had at least 7 boyfriends since we've been in high school. But the thing is that they aren't Jayden.

I don't even understand what she sees in him. He is such a douchebag. At least I think. I've never had a real conversation with him but he is the quarterback for the varsity team so that means something right? Not even JV. Like actual varsity. He is so good they decided to have him join varsity his freshman year. He  was the only freshman on the team and he is also the best. He is kinda cute though. He may be the nicest guy in the world but I'm just gonna go with my gut. Plus even if I were attracted to him he is off limits anyway.

There is someone who has caught my eye in the last few years of high school. Jake Blake. I know it's a funky name. His parents have a sense of humor I know that because he has lived next to me for 5 years. (I know your typical boy next door) He has come over to my house sometimes when he forgot his keys in the house and his parents are gone. Not to hang with me but he usually goes to hang with my older brother. He says hi every once in a while. We also give him rides to school sometimes. He once even walked into my room the first time he came over which was about 4 years ago. He claimed he was looking for the bathroom but my room has my name on it so I don't understand why he would think it's the bathroom. Anyway he is pretty nice...for a guy.

I was snapped out of my thoughts when I heard Carries voice. "Finally you have learned you cannot argue with me because I always win." She smiled looking proud of herself

"Or I just decided I actually want to do what you said?" She gave me a disapproving look. "Yeah your right. You are forcing me." I rolled my eyes.

She laughed and then looked at her phone. "Shit I gotta get going! I have to get to work. By the way we are hiring if you want me to get an application for you." Carrie works at the most popular diner in town. Only because that's Jayden's favorite place to eat. I guess it wouldn't be so bad to work with my best friend.