23a: Xaviers' Bedroom, Xavier Mansion, West Chester, NY

Charles looked forward to the end of the day. He had to admit, being married had its advantages. He relished the alone time he had with Jane, and realized she brought him out of his shell. He loved entering her mind and filling her imagination with what he would do, had he been able to complete the physical act of truly consummating his marriage. He enjoyed it, and she definitely enjoyed it, so it surprised him when she removed his hand from her temple.

"No illusions," she whispered, propping herself up on her elbow.

He was perplexed. "I thought you rather enjoyed them?"

"I do, I do," she admitted. "But they aren't you."

He looked at her, confused. He had placed himself in the illusions; he wasn't sure what she was implying.

"I want you," she said. "Now. As you are. Not what you think I want, not what you wish you could be, but now. Like this. Nothing different, just you as you are."

He pulled himself up to a sitting position. "I don't understand."

She moved close to him and traced her finger along his chest. "I know it bothers you, but it doesn't bother me. I met you this way, I love you this way. I knew going into this that there were some things we'd never do, and plenty we can do," she giggled a little, the emphasis in her voice implying plenty to him. "I want you, I love you, and there isn't a thing about you I'd want different."

He smiled a little. He wished he could see himself through her eyes. "I want to make you happy."

"You do," she smiled deviously, looking into his eyes and making him tremble with the intensity. "But you don't need to pretend anything. You know how to make me happy without any illusions," she whispered as she leaned in closer. "I don't want you to be like other husbands. I don't care what you think your shortcomings are, you are still the sexiest man I've ever met, and I just want you! No illusions, just you, as you are, now. I want your heart, your mind."

He tried smile, but he still could not understand what she saw in him. He thought he would have, by now, after all- she had married him. He tried to tell himself that what bothered him didn't bother her. Her words came from her heart out of love, not pity. She didn't feel sorry for him, she only wanted him. She didn't know him any other way, and from the sounds of it, didn't want to imagine him any other way. "I just wish I could do...what other husbands could do."

She sighed, "I married you because you aren't like other husbands. You're a telepath. You can do things no other husband can do... and I don't mean illusions."

"What do you mean?"

"You can enter my mind."

"Yes but you said not to do that."

"No entering my mind with what you think I want, enter it as you. No illusions, no fantasies, just be yourself, focus on me."

"And?"

She touched his face, "Let our minds connect."

He took a deep breath and looked into her eyes. He felt a surge of energy when he touched her face and he felt her psyche press against his mind. It made his heart race. He felt her mind opening up and his awareness responded by pouring into her mind, taking over every nerve, coursing through her. He felt her consciousness stream into his nervous system. He pulled her close to him, savoring the connection with her, feeling himself become a part of her. He felt himself lose control of his senses, and he felt as if he was experiencing every sensation Jane was experiencing.

He felt powerful.

He never knew he could be so powerful.

The connection grew stronger each time he looked into her eyes, each time he kissed her.

He felt their heartbeats synchronize and he noticed they even breathed and blinked at the same rate.

It was ecstasy. It was more than he imagined he could do with another human.

He felt a wave of energy wash over them and the connection began to ebb, yet he didn't feel exhausted, but strengthened. She looked at him, and he noticed his awareness was also causing him to see himself through her eyes. He held onto her as they each regained their own consciousness.

He fell back on his pillow, breathing heavily. "What was that?" he gasped.

Jane rolled over and stroked his face. "We made love. Our way."

He felt himself break into a satisfied smile. "I've never felt so powerful." He stared at the ceiling and his eyes grew wide. "I can hear everyone right now, their dreams, their minds, I don't even have to focus...I can even hear you, what you're thinking."

She looked at him and watched him process the new extent of his abilities.

"Is this what you had in mind tonight?"

She grinned, "Possibly."

"You know, I've trained people to reach this point, but I never seemed to reach it myself... my love, you make me powerful."

"No more illusions. This is the Charles I want."

He chuckled. "Maybe once in a while? Just for fun?"

She sighed and shook her head, but he noticed she was smiling. "Once in a while," she conceded.