Seventeen: Handsome

Start from the beginning

He looked back at the clan to see they'd all relaxed slightly, trusting that their Alpha wouldn't lead them astray. Leo looked over the sea of people, his friends and family, and nodded once. His black eyes dared anyone to challenge him again, dared to question his authority. Orion had been on the receiving end of that look more than once, and the scrutiny was enough to make anyone squirm. "Alright, if there anymore concerns or questions, I'll be in the Big House, in my office." He moved to walk off the stage when one of the men in the front row stepped forward.

"Will she be there as well? For us to speak with her?" the man asked, his green gaze flicking to Skylar and back to Leo. Orion recognized him as one of the members who tended the flocks of sheep, back after a shift change. Of course the clan members out in the pastures and fields were unable to make it to the meeting, but it wouldn't take long for word to spread, and Leo was always ready to receive comments from the clan members. Although he didn't always show it, the feelings of the clan meant a lot to him, and if many felt strongly about something, he took it into consideration to change.

"She will not. She is working with Orion to work on learning the ways of the clan," Leo stated, since they had not told everyone that Skylar had never shifted on her own. "They should not be disturbed. But she will be at the full moon ceremony tomorrow, and will likely be willing to speak with you then."

The man nodded and stepped back into the crowd. Orion could see Skylar wringing her hands together again as there was a small silence and everyone's eyes were on her. He hoped Leo wasn't expecting her to say something; she was nervous enough as it was, it seemed. So it surprised him all the more when she took a step forward and lifted her chin, her hands falling to her sides as she raised her voice to be heard by the whole clan.

"I just wish to thank you for welcoming me to your home. I know I'm disrupting your lives, and you don't know anything about me, but I'm grateful nonetheless. I was in need of somewhere to go, and you all allowed me to be here. So, thank you." The way she addressed them, as equals but also as if she ranked higher than them, had an almost regal air about it. He hadn't expected the confidence in her voice at addressing the large group. She knew what she wanted to say, and she'd said it. Even Leo appeared slightly taken aback at her courage, and a little impressed. When she ended her speech with a perfect curtsy, he downright chuckled.

"I believe our guest has stated it rather well. Thank you for being accommodating. Now we all have work to do before trading season, so let's get to work," he stated and walked off the stage of the amphitheater toward the Big House to open up his office. Orion put a hand on Skylar's shoulder to steer her after Leo, before anyone got it in their head to approach her while they still had so much work to do. He was still debating on if he should just use the pressure points and be done. If it didn't work, it didn't work. And maybe her dragon would be able to get rid of the cage while she was in charge. She was likely more motivated than Skylar to see it gone.

Orion glanced over his shoulder to see Percy and Zachariah doing a great job of holding people back by distracting them with conversation while Orion and Skylar departed. Victoria still sat, speaking with Laura and a couple other females. His stepmother looked completely exhausted, but she wasn't one to shy away from conversation if the opportunity arose.

"Was I too forward, speaking out like that?" Skylar asked him as they ascended the steps out of the amphitheater and walked toward the Square.

Orion shook his head. "No. I think it actually helped your cause. Dragons respond to strength. You addressed them, even though they weren't happy you're here, and you were brave enough to thank them. That'll leave an impression."

"Hopefully it's a good one. They seemed to feel strongly about my presence."

"They just don't like change. Plus, knowing that there's a human after you would set any dragon on edge. It's nothing personal."