At Water's Edge - Chapter 12 Part II

Start from the beginning

 ‘He shouldn’t be too objective to it’ she thinks to herself ‘I will just have to explain to him this isn’t an attempt at matchmaking rather it’s a favor to me one that I promise to repay at a later date.  I don’t want to involve the Dowager or Vanessa; the less they know the more plausible my argument will be.  Yes perfect!  Now I just have to figure how to get him alone to ask him.  I rather not ask him with everyone there, just in case he is appalled, I rather deal with the embarrassment on my own.  Though perhaps if it comes to that everyone will come to my defense and help me convince him.  But then he might feel pressured to say yes. NO I will ask him privately; perhaps I’ll ask him to join me for a walk, I think that would be best’.   Entering her room she begins to ready herself for dinner, happy that she has come up with a possible solution. 

Whilst Olivia is putting final touches to her hair Nina hears a noise outside her door.  She walks over and opens the door only to find Steven and Nicki arguing.  As soon as they see her they stop mid insult and bow before her.  Steven extends his hand to her whilst Nicki blatantly disregarding propriety, grabs her hand and pulls her after him. 

 “Nicki that was rude” she scolds him openly, turning back to Steven with a smile upon her lips mouths an apology.  Steven catches up to them and takes her free hand looping it over his and together they descend the stairs. 

 Annoyed Nicki begins “He “ nodding to Steven “needs to learn his limitations.”

 Without looking at Nicki Steven retorts “and you need to realize you do not own her.”

 Nicki grinds his teeth in frustration. 

 Nina whispers “Really Nicki, calm down this is all a bit excessive.”

 Before she knows it they are at the threshold of the dining hall neither man wishing to concede to the other yet, all three cannot enter together.  Frustrated Nina lets go of both men and walks in by herself leaving the two men in the hall as servants scramble to open the second door. 

 Shaking her head she sits herself down without either man’s assistance.  Vanessa’s eyebrow goes up in question while the two grumble their way to their seats. 

 Nina mouths to her “Don’t ask” as she shakes her head.

 The dinner goes on smoothly enough, most of the conversation is centered around the upcoming ball.   After desert the women venture outdoors like they did the previous night while the men take their leave in the study for cigars and port.

 Vanessa takes Nina’s arm and they walk out together “What was that display earlier?”

 “Oh that, well it appears that those two are all too anxious to get at one another.  I have no idea what has gotten into Nicki, he has never behaved like this.  He is overly protective, he won’t let Steven near me.  They bicker constantly, if I didn’t know better I would say they were both vying for my attentions but I know Nicki isn’t.”

Vanessa laugh “Well perhaps he is taking his role as a friend very seriously”.

“He is more like a big brother scaring all my suitors away.”

Vanessa’s eyebrow goes up “Do you consider Steven a suitor?”

“What….No I didn’t mean it like that. NO, no Vanessa!  I just don’t want them to be like this because of me.”