Chapter 26 - Every Which Way

Comincia dall'inizio

“Well, I just wanted to talk to Lucky” he tried to say smoothly but ended up stuttering.

“Lucky isn’t here and either way she doesn’t want to see you” Mikael said while attempting to close the door. Carter put his foot out to stop the door ignoring his glares.

“I just need to see her for two seconds” he pleaded with Mikael who sighed and called out Lucky’s name before shooting Carter one more glare and storming off.

After what seemed like an eternity, Lucky came bounding down the stairs gracefully. Carter’ breath hitched as he stared at her for the first time in three weeks, her hair had grown slightly so that her roots revealed her real hair colour which was dark brown, her brown eyes had lost some of its shine and by the looks of it, it was clear she had gotten just as much sleep as he did. Which was basically none but the most encouraging sight was that she was wearing the varsity jacket he had given her a few months ago along with the necklace he had given her for Christmas with the ‘C’ pendant. He unconsciously touched his ‘L’ pendant as well.

“What?” she asked when she stood in front of him. He blinked a few times and shook off the surprise he felt at her harsh tone.

“I came to apologize” he said. She sighed and indicated for him to come inside.

“There’s nothing to apologize for Carter” she said, sitting on a stool in the kitchen. “I’ve just been thinking.”

“About?” he prompted.

“Us. I think I overreacted when you called me Sarah. I know a part of you still loves her and I was wrong to think otherwise” Lucky said. Carter glanced up at her shyly to see her nervously playing with the hem of her shirt. He knew Lucky and she was never nervous so it was obvious it took a lot out of her to apologize to him.

“It’s okay. I think I’ve never really gotten into an argument with you but since Sarah was my girlfriend, naturally we did argue but at the end of the day I still loved her. Same way I love you” he whispered the last part, watching her closely for a reaction.

“Really?” she asked, giving him an uncertain look.

“Really” Carter confirmed, giving her a sincere grin. Just then he felt his cell phone vibrating in his pocket, he held up one finger to Lucky and answered his phone but immediately regretted it when he realized it was his mother calling.

“What do you want mom?” he asked, resisting the urge to roll his eyes when Lucky slapped his shoulder and told him to be nice.

“Did you not hear me when I told you we were coming back to take you to Washington?” his mother shrieked into the phone. He sighed and idly played with the button of his plaid shirt.

“Yes I heard you. But I told you I’m staying. I like it here” he said. He had almost forgotten about his mother’s phone call saying that her and his father were visiting in a few weeks to take him back to Washington but that had been the same day he had snapped at Lucky. His suitcase was half packed for his trip back to Washington but now that Nick had convinced him to stay and Lucky wasn’t mad at him anymore, he had every reason to stay.

He ignored Lucky’s curious stare and listened to his mother yell at him some more.

“Calm down. I started packing but I’m going to unpack. I’m not leaving” he told his mother in a calm voice which seemed to enrage her more.

“Will you listen to me please? Your father got a job in Italy. We’re moving back to Italy instead” his mother shouted. On a regular day, Carter would have been excited to be moving to the place where he was born but that day was different. He felt devastated. Maybe he could have handled being some states away from New York but he didn’t want an ocean between him and his best friends.

“What? No! I told you I’m over Sarah now but I still want to stay here!” he said, shouting at his mother now. Out of the corner of his eyes he could see Lucky piecing the whole conversation together and her eyes looked as if they were filled with unshed tears.

“This isn’t about Sarah anymore. This is about us being a family” his mother screamed back.

“Our family broke in half a long time ago” he said, lowering his voice but he knew Lucky could probably still hear him.

“Me and your father are on our way to New York now. Tomorrow we will be discussing this further” his mother said in a clipped voice before hanging up. Carter stared at his phone, not sure whether to throw it against the wall or break down.

“You’re moving?” Lucky’s voice brought him back to reality.

“No. I’m not” Carter said feeling a fierce determination. “We have to find a way to change my parents’ minds.”

“But how?” Lucky asked, cocking one eyebrow. Carter thought over her question for a moment and grinned.

“I have an idea” he said, before picking up his phone to call his parents.

It’s been a while

Btw guys! I have an idea for a short story (like 10 chapters), called Changing Carter which is basically Carter and Sarah’s story before she died, and Carter’s personality before he met Sarah and all that.

Anyway. My studies awaits!

Peace. Love and School