CHAPTER SIX: WELCOME HOME

Start from the beginning

"Did you know?" I ask Jack, who grins.

"Kind of. I had to see my best mate when he came back from leaving me for two years didn't I?" Jack grins, hugging my brother.

"Sorry to ruin the moment, but can you go and give these drinks to table five?" My boss, Luke, asks, handing me a coffee and a tea. I nod, a smile still plastered on my face but my eyes are red from crying in happiness.

"A tea and a coffee?" I ask to table five, who happens to be Cheryl and Zach. I place the coffee in front of Zach and the tea in front of Cheryl.

"Tell your brother I said welcome back," Zach says, and I nod, still smiling. Zach and my brother were friends, I guess. My brother was very much against this family feud nonsense. Hell, he hates being associated with the Willow family name. He chose who he was associated with, who he was friends with, which is why he was friends with Zach. I think it was mostly to irritate my parents, but they were friends. And now because Connor was seen as a failure to my parents, they're making sure that I don't do anything like that.

"I will," I smile, before bouncing back over to my brother.

"Zach said welcome back," I inform him, and Connor raises an eyebrow.

"Where is he?" Connor asks, and I point over to where Zach and Cheryl are sat.

"Is that Cheryl?" He asks, and I nod.

"She still looks like a bitch," Connor comments, and I laugh.

"Don't tell her that, she's leaving me alone at the moment, I don't want her attention anywhere near me, thank you," I reply, and Connor grins.

"I'm just going to go and say hi," Connor says, and I roll my eyes, as he walks off to see them. I can see both their facial expressions. And while Zach is grinning at the sight of his old friend, Cheryl looks like stone. Cheryl and my brother never got along. Probably my fault, but she deserved everything she got and more.

"Now, when does your shift finish?" Connor asks me when he comes back.

"She can go, I'll close up later," Luke says, and I smile.

"Thanks, I'll work Saturday instead, if you want?" I offer, and Luke nods.

"If you want to, sure," Luke replies, and I smile, before leaving the diner with my brother.

"So, I hear you auditioned for the school production," Connor comments, as we walk to my car. Connor got a taxi from the airport, so he is dragging some of his bags behind him, while I'm holding the other ones. He is hobbling along beside me, and I walk slowly next to him.

"Yeah, but I probably won't get it. Honestly, I might be better off if I don't get it, because if I do I'm sure mum will be disowning me," I reply, and Connor laughs.

"Isn't that a good thing?" Connor asks, and I shrug.

"Actually, yes," I reply, grinning.

"Well I tried that, it doesn't work. You just can't escape it, but you can sure as hell try. Do you want to get the part?" Connor questions, and I frown.

"Yes, I do," I reply, and Connor nods.

"Good, don't let them stop you," Connor replies, before we reach my car. He sits in the passenger seat and I start to drive us to the house.