Chapter 5

They opened my door and released me. They shoved me into my room.

"Terribly sorry Miss."

They locked the door and I collapsed on my knees, with my back to the door. I began to cry.

"Miss Georgie." I heard Mario.

"Mario, please let me out, I didn't do anything."

"I know Miss, do you remember what key it was?"

"I didn't see.." I began to cry.

"Please don't cry miss." I could hear him fiddling with keys.

"Now Miss, I have twenty-six keys here, so we may be a while."

"Okay." I whimpered.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was running along the deck when the boat suddenly shook. I fell onto my knees. I peered over the deck, and there was a giant iceberg. I was scared, I'll admit it, we had obviously hit but Titanic couldn't sink;could it..

I ran into Mr Andrews (the ships designers office). He was a good friend of mine.

"Sir, did you see what happened?" He nodded.

"I'm afraid so..It will sink in 1 hour, two if we are lucky."

"But, I thought there weren't enough lifeboats?"

"There aren't enough for half, half the people on this ship will die.."

I ran my hands through my hair, I couldn't believe this.

"And how on earth are you going to choose, who should live...and who should die?"

"It's first class first, then 2nd then 3rd, it's the only way.."

I ran off in shock, Georgie was in 3rd class, she would be last on a lifeboat; if there where any left by then...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Suddenly, the boat shook and I banged my head on the door. I heard Mario fall.

"What was that?"

"I don't know miss, I'll be back soon, I promise-"

" No wait please!"

But he was gone. My hand touched the ground as I supported myself up. I stomped my feet and I looked down, under my door water was gushing in! Oh my God!

"Help!"

The water was rising fast, we must have crashed, the water was so cold!

"Mario, help!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Georgie!"

I ran around the ship screaming her name until my throat hurt. We needed to get onto the deck as soon as possible.

"Sir, where is steerage?"

He pointed to a staircase going down! I ran down it. In the corridor, stewards where banging on peoples doors, handing them lifejackets telling them to go onto deck.

"Georgie!"

"Georgie!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The water was now up to my ankles. I heard someone shouting my name.

"Georgie!"

"Help, I'm in here, help me!" It was Peter, he ran up to my door.

"I can't get out, it's locked."

"Move out of the way Georgie?" I moved aside.

"Why?"

Suddenly he burst through the door, and he cursed as the pain of the door hit him. He flew and landed on top of me, as we fell into the now knee deep water. We both gasped as the freezing water came into contact with our skin.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I helped her up as she shivered. I placed my jacket over her shoulders and she turned around fast, as our faces touched. We were so close. Our faces came closer and our lips touched and they moved in sync. I stroked her face.

"You know miss Georgie, I think I've fallen in love with you."

"I love you too."

I smiled and then came back to reality.

"We have to get onto the deck!"

I held her hand as we waded through the freezing thigh deep water, as we cursed in horror. We hauled ourselves up the stairs, I was on the deck.

"We need to find a boat, Georgie."

I turned around and she wasn't there.

"Georgie?"

I ran back and saw the steerage gates closed, as they all hurled abuse at the stewards to open the gates. I ran up to the other side and there was Georgie, stuck behind them.

"Please let us out, the waters rising."

One man shouted as he held onto his children.

"Sir, when the first and second classes are on lifeboats, we will let you out."

"We're not animals, being caged, please there are women and children down here."

I pressed my face against the gate as I begged the stewards.

"Please, let the women and children out."

They shook their heads, irratatingly. I reached for Georgies hand.

"I will get you out!"

Everyone in steerage had began to push and shove trying to get through.

"Everyone wait, when first class and second class have-'

""Nonsense, there aren't enough boats, we will die down here!"

Everyone started gasping and muttering.

Suddenly some men charged at the gates with a chair and the gates opened. Everyone pushed their way through and Georgie was pushed down the step.

"Georgianna!!"

I ran through the gates, past the trampling panic of people. I picked her up.

"Are you okay?"

She look flustered but she nodded. I held her hand, securely this time and we ran onto the deck looking for a lifeboat. The stewards had made a human wall around the lifeboats, as they called out 'first class women and children only'. I looked for my mother, but she wasn't there.We went to her room, where I was handed a lifejacket, I placed it onto Georgie and she cuddled me.

"I do love you"..