Chapter 4

I waited for the respnse eagerly. I knew mother wouldn't approve, but I didn't care. Georgie had a strange effect on me, she made me laugh and I trusted her straight away.

"I'd love too but-"

"But?"

"Well..what will I wear, and which fork do I use, and how do I talk..and-"

"Don't worry Georgie, just copy me and you will do fine, and as for the clothes I love your dress but if you want I'm sure my cousin would lend you some sort off atire."

"Tanks, I appreciate it."

"So, I'll meet your at the grand staircase at seven."

"Of course..tanks again I had a great night."

"So did I, many thanks to you!"

"But won't your family, be ashamed of me?"

"Why, would anyone be ashamed of someone like you?"

"Well for a start Im poor and irish!"

"I love the way you talk...tanks, top o' the morning to ya!" She laughed.

"Are you making fun off me and my pot o' gold?"

"I wouldn't dare." She smiled.

"I must exscuse myself." I stood up as she left, I think I'm in love...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day I awoke with another knock at my door. There stood a beautiful lady, stood next to Mario. She was wearing a beautiful pink gown and a fur coat and floral hat.

"Oh, you must be Georgie, my dear I have heard so much about you. My cousin Peter does not stop talking about you!" I blushed.

"Oh allow me to introduce myself, I am Lady Matilda Crimson, but you may call me Tilly." I curtsied, it's nice to meet you." She laughed at me.

"So, lets find you the perfect gown for tonight, I mean we must please my aunty, she is an old prune."

Me and Mario giggled and looked down hoping she didn't notice.

She led me to her room in first class, it was enourmous, she had four rooms all to herself! I didn't understand how there was room for all the first class passengers, when everyone had a room like this!

"Oh, Hetty dear please bring my gowns out, oh and my jewels and shoes."

Her maid nodded and brought out some of the most amazing dresses I had ever seen.

"Now my dear, I think quite a girly colour would compliment your hair..Hmm..what do you think about this dress?"

She pulled out a purple gown, with a floaty bottom. It was beautiful.

"Wow..My lady..thank you!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She walked down the stairs, in a beautiful gown. She wore extravagant jewellrey and her hair was in loose curls. I smiled at her in my suit, mother always made me wear these.

"You look breathtaking.."

"Well you know..you don't look so bad yourself!"

I laughed at her irish humour, she really was perfect. She placed her hand in mine, as we walked towards the dinner room. We approached the table and we sat down together.

"Mother, this is Georgianna". Mother looked her down.

"Hello...dear".

"It's a pleasure to meet you..tanks for the invatation."

"Oh your irish.." Mother sighed.

"And dear trust me 'I' didn't invite you..."

There was an awkward silence as our dinner was served, the starter was soup. I stroked the medium sized spoon, hinting to Georgie which one she needed to use. She sipped it nervously.

"....So...Mother..Georgianna is a beautiuful singer!"

"Oh dear God..a performer." She muttered under her breath.

"Is their a problem Mam?"

"No Georgianna, I just presumed my son would invite someone from..'our side of the ship' not an irish singer." She emphasised the last two words.

"Mother, how dare"

"I'm sorry if I am not good enough for your son, but there is nothing wrong with being irish and steerage. I try to make money, and I work hard, I didn't just inherit money and then have my life set out on a plate!"

My mother stared in shock. I noticed our other guests try and discuise their smiles, no-one had ever stood up to my mother like that; she inspired me!

"Mother, I believe Georgianna has a point, she deserves to be here, she's worked for it!"

"Peter, what ever has got into you, I expect this from an irish tramp but not from you!"

"Don't you ever talk about her like that, EVER AGAIN! How dare you!"

Georgie was in tears.

"I should go!" She stood up as my mother screamed.

"Ouch, how dare you! She kicked me, she had the nerve to actually kick me!" Georgie shook her head in shock.

"No..I didn't I swear..I didn't!"

"Stewards, take her away I think she's had a little much to drink, lock her in her cabin until morning that should calm her down."

"Mother, you're being unreasonable!" They dragged Georgie.

"Come on Miss.."

"No..I didn't..Youre a liar..A LIAR! Peter..please!"

"Get your hands off her!"

"Sorry sir, it's your mothers orders!"

"I will come for you, I promise!"

She was led away in tears and my heart melted.

"Finally, she's gone.."

"Mother, why would you say that, why would you LIE!"

"To get rid off her darling, she was obviously boring you!"

"No mother, she was boring you!! Well, you're going to have to get used to being bored then aren't you because I love her!"

She stared at me in horror!

"Well, when you have calmed down and realised how irrational and stupid you are being, I will speak with you, but till then, farewell..."

We all stood up as she left the table.

I ran off searching for her.

"Georgie...Georgie.."