You & I Chapter Three

"Bee, I feel really underdressed." Chris said. They had just left their hotel and were now on their way to meet Billie's father and his wife for brunch.

He was surprised that Billie was dressed to the nines in a dark blue wiggle dress and heels, while he chose to wear his favorite dark blue cardigan, a t-shirt, and jeans. She swore that he looked fine, and even said that she loved that sweater on him. But he knew that she was lying because she always made fun of him for wearing it and said that it made him look like an old man.

"But I thought this was just a simple brunch. Yet here you are all dolled up."

"Trust me you have nothing to worry about. I just wanted to look my best since I know my dad likes to nit-pick every little thing I do."

She had been a ball of nerves ever since they got off the plane early that morning. And she wasn't looking forward to this visit, especially since she still remembered their last conversation. Still Chris tried to comfort her and felt that maybe her dad was ready to let bygones be bygones. But Billie knew better and still prepared for the worst.

When they finally arrived to her father's estate, Chris was completely blown away by the majestic manor, which was a Tudor style home with 8 bedrooms that sat on 10 ½ acres of land. He didn't realized that Billie came from a wealthy family, yet she quickly corrected him by stating that her dad's side of the family was well-off.

And even though her mom received a decent chunk of his fortune when they divorced, he still lucked out by remarrying into a more affluent family. Regardless, Chris still felt out of place and was actually a bit self-conscious because while he came from a prosperous household, this lavish domain made his family seem indigent in comparison.

Before they got out of the car, Chris noticed Billie was still struggling to center herself. She had shut her eyes and was quietly chanting "water off a duck's back", which was a silly mantra that always gave her just enough courage to power through any situation.

"Babe, you ready?" Chris politely asked. He then took her hand and gave it loving squeeze and he swore that she had nothing to worry about.

"Trust me that's easier said than done." She sighed.

"I know, but just remember you have me for support."

Billie then opened her eyes and he smiled, and for a split second she felt all of her anxiety disappear. She knew that having him there was the only way she could go through with this while keeping her sanity in tact. She then took one last deep breath and they finally made their way towards the front entrance. And while waiting on the porch, Chris noticed Billie was fidgeting with her dress and teetering in her heels.

"Did I tell you that I really like your ass in that dress?" He said roguishly.

"Evans, not now." Billie replied while rolling her eyes.