Part 2

Back at the stone house, I found my best friend and assisted her in rallying the children. There were so many of them. We always start the rally from the morning because it would take hours to get their attendance checked. There were always a few that would wander around and leave the stone house after they were checked in, which would cause us problems.

"So I have to tell you what happened with Lucien last night," I said as Madeline and I escorted the kids over to the stone house.

"Oh yea I've been dying to hear, what happened after I left you guys?"

"Well, I kinda did something that you might be mad at me for,"

She stopped walking, "You ran didn't you."

See, everyone knows how bad it is.

"Yes," I stopped walking and winced waiting for her reaction.

"Eva!"

"I know I know! Katrina already scolded me for it!"

"You told Katrina?"

"Of course, she actually figured out that I was with Lucien on her own,"

"Well your sister's smart so of course she wouldn't miss it, I still can't believe you went out after curfew, I would never expect that from you,"

"Yes, yes I'm a little goody two shoes, I already covered that with Katrina too,"

"Well not anymore! Look at you breaking all the rules, I'm starting to like bad girl Eva,"

"Well bad girl Eva was short lived, because that's the last time I'm ever doing that!"

"Good! Seriously if you do it again I'll end up breaking your legs for your own good!" Madeline playfully shoved me.

"Alright! I'm not going to... But he said it was sexy!"

"Stop!" she smiled at me.

"Yea! He said it was so sexy watching me run!" I laughed.

"That's so weird," she laughed.

"It was awesome! And then we kissed," I made a goofy smile.

"Aw! Wow I'm so jealous of you! I need to find myself a boyfriend!"

"Oh you'll find someone! With everything you have to offer, the men are dying to be yours,"

I spotted my mother and her sister from across the field suddenly, and decided to join them.

"Mads, I'll see you in a little bit, I'm gonna go say hi to my mother and aunt,"

"Gotcha," Madeline took the kids the rest of the way on her own

I ran over to where my mother was.

"Mom!" I hugged her.

"Baby," she hugged me back, "Good morning sun shine, you were sleeping like a baby this morning!" she pulled away,

"I know, sorry about that, hey aunt Mirabelle," I kissed my aunt on the cheek.

"Hi my love," she kissed me back.

"Dad?" I asked.

"Your father woke up before the tribe did to prepare for tonight," Mirabelle said, "Your mother married quite the workaholic."

"Believe me I know. Oh and, have either of you seen Avery? I haven't seen her all morning." I said.

"Oh she's off with Anna and all her other friends, they're just hanging out before tonight," my mom answered.

"Remember the good old days, when you and Katrina were able to just hang out like that, and now you actually have to work on hunting days." Mirabelle fake laughed evilly.

"Look whose talking, do you remember when you were young enough to do nothing, and then you were young enough to have a job, but now you're old and have to hunt!" I teased.

"Oh just you wait! Wait until you start hunting and Katrina's daughter says that to you! I'll be standing right behind you laughing!" she teased back.

"Yes but then you'll be even older!" my eyes widened to enhance the horror I tried to project in my eyes.

Mirabelle gasped, "You cut me deep," she put her hand on my heart. "You cut me real deep just now,"

"You'll learn to live with it," I hugged her.

She hugged me back, "Don't you have a job to do! Go you crazy teenager!" she pushed me away playfully.

"Geez you're so old you don't know how to have fun anymore,"

"Eva! Are you doing your job!" Brenda called as I ran passed her.

"Yes ma'am!"

* * *

Around midnight, when all the adults had left and all the children were checked into the stone houses, I wandered around the house.

"You're just as bad as your little sister you know that?" I turned around to see Madeline walking towards me.

"And why is that?"

"You both wander around too much. In and out of trouble, so where is she, don't tell me you're playing hide and seek?"

"Hide and seek? Seriously?" I chuckled, "No she's in her room."

"Wait what, I caught her leaving her room, she told me she was going to you, that you called for her!"

"What? No! I haven't even seen her! In fact I haven't seen her all day!"

"Then where is she?"

"I don't know but I have to find her,"

I ran back into the main room where a bunch of kids were running around.

"Avery!" I called out but no answer came, my eyes searched the room until I found her friend Jennifer and ran towards her. "Jennifer, where's Avery?"

"Oh uhm, Eva," She avoided looking into my eyes, "I-I don't know."

"Don't you lie to me Jennifer, I know your sister!" I threatened.

"O-okay! They're outside!"

"Outside the house!" I yelled.

"Y-yes,"

"Why on earth are they outside!"

"It was a dare, Avery has to do it,'

"Do what! Leave the house? Why on earth would you dare her to do that, she'll get reported!"

"No the dare wasn't to leave the house,"

"Then what!"

"She's gonna cross the border."