Prologue: Origins

two months earlier

It started when I was a kid. I was only 5 years old when my first manifestation happened, and thankfully, I had been alone. I'd heard about what happened to people who had abilities, who were different from the normals. I didn't want that to happen to me.

I kept my secret well hidden, up until I turned 22 years old and met Dominic Hanford. We hit it off immediately, but I knew he had a secret. His brown eyes were scared, his smiles forced, and he was always alone. I never once heard him mention his mother or father, but he had mentioned a brother.

He moved in with me a couple years later, and I'd witnessed him playing in a pool, doing things I'd never expected. He'd made a miniature water spout in the pool, a true smile on his face as he watched it swirl around him. I knew then that he was like me, and that I could trust him with my secret.

I went into his room that night, and spoke to him. His face had paled as I told him I knew what he was, but then seemed to light up as I told him I was the same. He'd asked me to demonstrate what I could do, so I brought him to a room I always had locked, and the only way to open it was my touch.

I faced him and asked, "Would you be able to dampen my power? We complement each other, we could work together." He frowned curiously but nodded slowly, watching me slightly apprehensively.

I took a breath and reached for that orb inside my chest, a forever constant pulse of warmth and tugged a small strand of it. I summoned it to my palms and the dim lighting of the room lit up as two red hot flames appeared in my palms, making the younger boy gasp.

I carefully had the flame float above my palm, moving it closer to Dominic, but not too close. "Can you put it out?" I asked curiously and he nodded, awe shining in his eyes. His fingers twitched and suddenly an orb of water appeared next to my flame, flattening out to form a plate like shape. It curved around my flame before collapsing inwards, effectively extinguishing my flame.

He was smiling happily, this one also a true smile. The second one I'd ever had the blessing to witness. "We need names," I said softly and he looked at me curiously. "What do you mean?" he asked softly and I walked over, taking his hand in mine.

"So we can talk about it in public, if one or the other is having trouble. Kind of like our alter egos," I replied and he nodded slowly. "You're Hakan," he whispered and I tilted my head curiously. "Hakan?" I asked and he smiled softly. "It means 'of the fire'," he said and I thought for a second before nodding appreciatively.

"Then you're Ryo," I said and he gave me a curious look, making me smile. "It means River," I said and he giggled. I smiled softly at him and carefully tugged him out of the room and to mine. They were already in their pyjamas so I just tugged him down into the bed beside me. I'd never really cuddled someone before, terrified I wouldn't be able to control my ability, but now I had someone I knew I wouldn't hurt.

Dominic fell asleep against my chest, a faint smile on his lips. I kissed his forehead, always have been drawn to the younger boy. I rested my head against his and closed my eyes, ignoring the bad feeling in my chest.

I fell asleep, feeling the soft puffs of air against my collarbone and the steady pulse of his heart against my chest.

We were awoken a couple hours later from the front door being kicked open and a can flying into the room spewing smoke. I stood up and quickly pushed Dominic behind me, igniting my fire and feeling a ripple in the air behind me showing that he had manifested his power too.

"Get them!" a man shouted and I panicked, not wanting anyone to hurt my Dominic. I shot a fire ball at the voice but even as I heard the guy shout out in pain a small pinch appeared in my neck and I gasped, the fire extinguishing as I fell to my knees.

"Paxton!" Dominic cried, kneeling next to me and quickly pulling out the dart from my neck. "Run, Dominic. You can hide in the specialised room, it's programmed now to take your touch. Go, before they get you. You can hide, they have heat sensing goggles. Cool yourself down," I ordered breathlessly and he let out a small sob.

"No, I'm not leaving you, Paxton," he said and I lifted my hand, placing it on his cheek. "Now," I said faintly and he shook his head. I summoned a small flame and pressed it to his fingers. The heat covered him then separated from him, making a small form that looked similar to Dominic.

"I'm scared, Hakan," he whispered and I pressed my fingers to his cheek. "Don't worry, I won't let anyone hurt you, Ryo," I replied and then made the figure rush down the hallway in the opposite direction of my safe room. "This will distract them, go!" I ordered again and he hesitated. His fingers brushed my cheek before kissing me softly and quickly, barely lingering before pulling away and cooling himself down. I could feel unconsciousness creeping over me but fought to keep my eyes open, hoping to be able to see Dominic escape.

He made it out the door and I felt the wards around my secret room open and close briefly, showing me Dominic had made it safely. I fell to my side as the darkness grew stronger, my mind holding tightly to the feeling of Dominic's lips against mine.

I closed my eyes and let the darkness creep over me, hearing several men rush into the room and pick me up. I didn't know what was going to happen to me, but as long as Dominic was safe, I would be fine.