“You don’t understand how important this is, Emery,” I whisper. If I don’t bring it up now, it’s just going to get worse. “I have some ideas that I want to talk about with you.” I hope my suggestions will at least spark ideas from him, which would be a huge step up from the way he’s acting now.

I hear Emery curse quietly as I lean against the windowsill. “I said to leave me alone, River,” he barks, his free hand clenching into a fist. I don’t understand how he can change this quickly from laughing with my family to getting angry with me.

“But Emery-“ I start, but I quickly shut my mouth as he puts out his barely finished cigarette on the roof. Once it’s no longer lit, he throws it as far as he can into the night. Normally, I would be annoyed knowing an animal might eat it however I choose not to mention it right now.

He doesn’t say anything as he climbs towards the window and pushes himself through. He leaves it wide open as he heads towards his backpack and closes it. I don’t want to move my eyes away from him but I have to as I quickly shut the window. By the time I turn back towards Emery, he’s already heading towards my door, his backpack slung over his shoulder.

“Emery,” I ask, my voice almost a whimper. “Where are you going?”

“Out,” he mutters, not turning to look at me as he throws open my bedroom door.

“Out where?” I whisper back, hurrying to catch up to him.

“None of your fucking business,” he grumbles, slamming the door behind him which coincidentally is right in my face.

Maybe it’s one of my mood swings taking over or maybe I’m just genuinely upset. However I don’t chase after Emery as I move towards my window, my arms hugging my sides as I start to cry. I watch as his motorcycle lights turn on as he starts it. I know he knows I’m watching him, however as he starts moving, he doesn’t even glance my way. Then, in a matter of seconds, he’s speeding down County Road Six.

I sit on my window seat, quietly crying while I listen to the sound of the motorcycles engine. It fades out way to quick and then it starts to sink in that Emery left without telling me anything. I have no idea where he’s going or even if he’s planning on coming back.

Eventually, I sink into my bed without saying goodnight to anyone. I focus on the sound of my family in my living room to distract me from my thoughts. However as it starts to grow late, everyone starts going to bed. I hadn’t even noticed that Emery’s mattress at the end of my bed is gone, being used along with the couches downstairs.

Left alone to my thoughts in the silent house, I start to tell myself I didn’t do anything wrong. All I did was want to talk about baby stuff-something that comes along with the actually baby. I don’t know how long it’s been when I finally start to drift off to sleep, tired from over-analyzing everything. But I don’t think I’m out long when a loud noise jerks me awake.

Alarmed, I quickly sit up in bed and instantly regret it as everything starts to spin. I press my palm against my forehead until it’s gone and my eyes start to adjust, but it isn’t that long when I hear another noise, this time coming from the kitchen.

For a few moments I listen for someone else to get up to check what the sound was. For all I know, it can be a burglar or even someone after Emery. When I hear no noise of someone else getting up, I slowly climb out of bed and creep silently down the stairs.

I look over the living room at my family sleeping and wonder how I’m always the one to wake up. Rolling my eyes, I step quietly into the kitchen and look over the dark room until I see a figure lying in a heap on the floor.