Chapter two

Soon after the man had called them, the police had arrived and drove her to the local prison and tossed the girl in a holding cell for what they claimed would only be a short time, long enough for them to investigate. 

Frusturated, she sighed and slumped against the grey, smooth surface of the cell wall. The stone floor, however, was quite rough. It felt like ice where it touched her skin, the places that her capris didn't cover, sending a shiver up her spine. 

For a minute, she sat there, her mind struggling to wrap itself around the sudden events of the day. As she did so, she stared down at the floor. She traced her fingers along the scratches and cracks. They all had a story, she thought, and were most likely caused by previous, and much more dangerous, inhabitants of this cell. Though, she couldn't help wondering if one of the people, one of the stories that lingered in this room, was a girl much like her. 

Suddenly alert, her head snapped up as she heard heavy footsteps thudding down the hall in her direction. She wasn't sure why she was excited. Maybe it was because it was something other to do than just day dream- even if it was being questioned by a police officer. 

She jumped up and moved to the bars of the cell where she could peer through. To her disappointment, her view of the approaching person was blocked by the side wall of the cell. Frowning, she slumped to the floor again and stared at the shadow as it steadily grew larger on the dank ground on the other side of the bars. 

Soon, a man dressed in a neat, crisp uniform came into view and stopped right outside her cell. Seeing how he seemed to think of himself so highly, and looked at her like she was a piece of scum made her angry. She wished she could jump at him and claw his face out, though she knew that that wouldn't help her cause any. 

Why did people with a higher status always have to make themselves look so important and better than poor people, making others feel small, so out of place, as if they weren't needed, she wondered? She wished to run, to find the highest mountain she could. From there, she'd climb to the peek and shout out a message to all the people who felt like her when they saw a well-groomed person. Shout at the top of her lungs, tell everyone that they were still people as well. Though no one would hear the message. 

Besides, it was impossible. 

Especially with the situation she'd managed to get herself into.

Summoning all of her courage and forcing it into her tone, so she didn't come across as scared and weak, she asked "What do you want?"

The cop snorted. "Some nerve you've got there, addressing me as such." 

She rolled her eyes. "Fine. What do you want, sir?" She asked, a mocking edge on the word 'sir.' 

The policeman sighed impatiently. "I've come to ask you a question so we may fill out a report and put this in our files. What is your full legal name?" 

The girl shrugged. "You expect me to tell you why?" 

The cop gave her a warning look. The girl quickly reconsidered her actions, knowing that if she drove herself into deeper trouble, she would have less of a chance of returning to her mother, to James. 

"Brielle Idis Tanner," she admitted reluctantly. 

The cop nodded stiffly. "Very well, then. Thank you, Ms Tanner," He said, his voice just as stiff as his nod. Obviously, he hadn't really meant thank you, but there's always that one part of a job that everyone has to do, yet no one likes doing. 

Brielle sighed. She knew that now that they had her full name, they'd be able to check her background. Also, this would most likely go on any sort of record she may hold, effecting her chances of a better life, a wealthier life, she may have in the future. Shaking her head, she leaned against the wall.