Chapter 16. Nuances

Start from the beginning

The two of us were standing right below Genesis' balcony when Ester joined. Her face was smudged with dirt, but the expectant look she gave Spencer demanded to be taken seriously. "What are you waiting for?"

"You actually." Spencer took the rope slung over his waist, let the hook dangle downward, and looked up. Once he measured the distance, he twisted the hook until it made a whirlwind motion next to him. It was so cool seeing it thrown upward then latching on the balustrade. He pulled it a couple of times before turning to me. "It's secure. Don't fall on your way up."

"Aren't you coming with me?" I glanced from one twin to the other.

Ester wiped the smudge on her nose and shook her head. "We thought we'd give you some time alone," she said. "And besides, it would be harder to leave if there's many of us."

I looked at the rope uncertainly. She had a point, but that didn't mean I liked it.

"Okay then. Message you later? I left the Blackberry in my room."

"Later," Spencer promised.

The twins and their rope were gone by the time I swiveled around from the balcony. Was it stupid of me to forget to ask how to go home? Maybe they had another plan.

Or maybe you should concentrate on getting inside first, Destiny. You just got here.

I shook the troublesome thoughts away and walked forward.

What if she doesn't want me to be here though? Gabrielle said Genesis put the basket in the trash. Why would she do that?

Oh, God. I was overthinking again. Couldn't I go a second without that?

I wiggled my arms and exhaled. Just go already.

The door leading to Genesis' room wasn't locked. It didn't make a sound as I swung it forward either. There was a brief moment of adjustment as I went inside. It was darker there than outside.

"You're more persistent than I gave you credit for."

I jumped when I heard the voice. Genesis wasn't asleep. She was seated on a chair next to her study table, legs crossed, arms folded on her lap, staring at me from afar. Her white t-shirt pressed to her chest when she stood. She wasn't wearing anything underneath, nor did she have jeans. I turned away quickly.

"Why are you here?" she said.

It took a few seconds to say what I wanted to say. My brain has turned into mashed potato. "I. . . Uhh. . . Weren't you suck? I mean sick?"

"No. Maybe. . . I must be if you're here."

"Which is it really?" I mustered the courage to stare at her again. Why was I so bothered with what she was wearing? It wasn't an issue before. "I didn't realize you'd be awake. Maybe I should go back tomorrow."

"So if I was asleep, you'd stay?" A smile flitted on her lips as she went to the bed. "That's creepy even for you, Des."

"Sorry."

"I like creepy. Come here."

I blinked as the nightlight above her bed opened. It was harsh, surprising, but with just enough light to help me walk steadily without tripping on my feet.

She sighed when I sat on the mattress. Her eyes closed a brief second before they focused on me. She wasn't wearing her contacts. "So. . . What's so important that you'd commit trespassing and risk disappointing Mr. Jones?"

"You."

Her eyes flickered light a candle. "Me?"

"Yeah. I thought you were sick. You haven't been to school for a week."