Chapter 4

Wednesday, March 19, 1975

            It had been a little over a week since Jason and the guys had been left captainless. There were supposed to be reinforcements coming to relieve them any day now. “So close to laying out on the beach in Pattaya and forgetting this ever happened, so close man.” Chris said with his helmet over his face as he tried to take a nap.

            “I feel you man.” Jason said from next to him. “I need sleep.” Although Jason was able to sleep, he was still paranoid. Every now and then he could hear some twigs snap and it made his heart stop.

            “Hey, did you ever get a letter back from that girl?” Chris asked.

            Jason shook his head even though he knew Chris couldn’t see him. “No, not yet.”

            “Don’t sweat it. I’m sure it’ll get here soon.” He assured Jason. “In the meantime, try and get some rest. It’s Jeremy’s turn to sit watch.”

            Jason joined his friend on the ground and put his helmet over his face. His eyes were tired, but his body wasn’t. It was constantly on a high of adrenaline and he was looking forward to the days he would be able to relax again.

Thursday, March 20, 1975

            Jason woke up the next morning to the sound of helicopter blades and a strong wind rustling the trees. “What’s going on? He asked putting his helmet over his head.

            Chris clutched his rifle in his hands. “I don’t know man.”

            The guys watched as the helicopter landed somewhat nearby. It was like seeing heaven. Jason and Chris watched as U.S troops walked towards them.

            The captain of the other platoon looked over the scraggly group of men in front of him. “Gather your things boys. You’re going to Pattaya.”

            Jason and Chris both smiled at each other as the other guys cheered. They were finally getting out of the jungle.

            “Oh my god it’s heaven.” Chris sighed looking at the sunny beach in front of him. There were other soldiers already on leave here and no doubt they would be leaving in the next few days.

            “I needed this.” Jason said taking his helmet off and sitting in the toasty sand. “I needed this so badly.”

            “Same here brother.” Chris said as someone casted over the pair blocking out the sun. Jason opened his eyes to see one of the sergeants standing over them.

            Jason and Chris got to their feet and saluted him. The sergeant chuckled and said, “At ease, Privates. Mail call.” He handed over the envelopes to their rightful owners before walking off to deliver the rest of the mail.

            Jason looked at the envelope that was just given to him and he smiled. He saw the name Angela written neatly in the upper left corner with the address that Jason had come accustomed to seeing.

            “Who wrote to you that has you all smiling?” Chris joked elbowing his friend in the ribs.

            Jason laughed. “No one you need to concern yourself with.” He said before opening the envelope. As usual the paper was folded neatly and evenly into thirds. Without even meeting her he took her as a perfectionist.

            He unfolded the piece of paper and smiled when he saw a whole page filled with words waiting to be read.

            Dear Jason,

                    You must’ve been a part of the last batch of troops that we sent out. I wish I could put a face to your name because we do live in a small town. I’m sure I would’ve seen you around town. Granted, you were supposed to be in college that makes you a year older than me.

            You know, this is my second letter to you. I feel obligated to know more about the person I’m paying postage to talk to. I’ll start. You know my name’s Angela so I’ll start with something else. I am an only child. My mom rarely works anymore and my dad spends more time down at the country club golfing than at home. I’m a senior and will be graduating this year. I take pride in not having many friends and I like long walks at night.

            - Angela

P.S. Please no more talk of war. I may not know a lot about you, but it breaks my heart reading about the things you have to endure for a lost cause.

P.P.S. I’m still praying for you.

            His mood relaxed a bit and he found himself smiling. Jason knew by now that he shouldn’t be alive. There were plenty of times where he should’ve been dead, but he wasn’t. If he ever made it out of Vietnam the first thing he was going to do was find this girl and thank her for keeping him sane all this time.

            Rummaging through his pack he found another piece of paper and he found another pen. He smoothed out the paper’s surface and he began to write.

            Dear Angela,

                     I think you’ll be relieved to hear that I’m on leave for a week. The guys in my platoon were just airlifted from our spot in the jungle and we are now on the sunny beaches of Pattaya. I can finally breathe a sigh of relief because now I can sleep without worrying about whether or not the Vietcong are watching us.

            I know you don’t want to hear about what’s going on in the war. And I promise to uphold that promise starting now. I always wonder how things are at home. Around this time of year, the whether must be blistering hot. I also wonder how things are with you.

            Jason tapped his pencil against the pad of paper. He hasn’t even met this mystery girl he was writing to every week and yet he felt like he knew her so well.

            I know things must be hard on everyone at him since we live in such a small, tight knit community. I’m hoping things are getting better though. I hope your last couple months of school are going well. I know when I was a senior; I pulled the “senior slide” around this time of year. I’m not saying you should slide but everyone deserves a break. Take a step back and just enjoy life while you’re young.

            - Jason

P.S This coming from a guy who’s only nineteen.

Jason sealed the piece of paper in a new envelope and wrote the address on its fresh surface. He got to his feet and walking it over to the mail bin where the letters were due to mail later that night. Dropping the letter into the bin, Jason felt like for once the weight of the world was lifted from his tired and sore shoulders. He knew to cherish that feeling because it was only going to last for six more days.