Chapter Seven - First Glimpse

I woke up with an uneasy feeling in my gut and a headache that had me crawling to the nearest Advil. I hadn't realized I consumed so much alcohol last night. It was either that or I was dreading initiating "The Wedding Issue" today. I tried keeping a positive attitude towards it, but I just couldn't ditch the habit of expecting the worst, especially on a day like today. Getting out of bed seemed like such an impossible mission, but as soon as the Advil kicked in I managed to get on my feet and wobbled to the bathroom.

I looked like shit. My eyes were so blood red it looked like I haven't slept for days and that I had been consuming something seriously illegal. I'm going to have to use an extra layer of concealer to hide the dark circles around my eyes. I must've not slept as much as I thought I needed. I tossed and turned most of the night, leaving my hair looking like an untrimmed bush.

Nothing that a cold shower and a Cup of Joe couldn't fix, I decided to tell myself.

I regretted leaving my father without personally letting him know I was leaving, so I left him a sincere apology on his machine. I figured he'd still be out romancing Selena in one of his many charming ways since he didn't answer his cell. He was such a hopeless romantic, and I inherited nothing of that trait.

I didn't feel like jogging today, so I opted for a Mochaccino on the balcony and listening to the morning rush of Manhattan. I never minded the noise. The cars honking, pets barking, people talking loudly on their cellphones and the general New York traffic didn't really bother me. In fact, I dwelled in it. It was lively and empowering. If you listen carefully, you just might hear the symphony of New York playing through the streets. If you listened with your heart, you'll know that you share just as much troubles and worries with the rest of the world. You also share its happiness, success, and most importantly, the reason behind every adventure.

If anything, with all its history, the world knows, understands, forgives, punishes, rewards and teaches you everything you need to survive. My world happens to lie in New York.

Today, I had to power through, put on a brave face and give women an issue to die for.

But just as I had to be mentally prepared for the process, I had to be physically prepared as well. So, I drew a bath, fully aware that I'll be late for work.

It was a good thing I run the show.

The scents of cinnamon and vanilla were a toxic yet relaxing combination. The bath salts left a tingling sensation all over my body as they were effervescing. The warm water made every tense muscle relax at will. It was a physical journey of utmost mirth, and I enjoyed every lively moment of it. For a moment there, I had forgotten all about the dreadful day ahead and slipped into an ecstatic trance of unlikely relaxation. I lost track of space and time; maybe I was high on something.

When I decided I had enough, I got out, dried my now manageable hair and lifted it up in my casual pony-tail, got dressed and went down to find my shiny, black Merc waiting for me.

Benji never complained about my being unfashionably late, and I silently thanked him for it.

He handed me my latte and muffin, but I had lost my appetite for some reason, so I kept them aside.

'Did I get the wrong order?', he asked, concerned.

'No, dear. My appetite simply failed me this morning.'

'Is everything okay?'

I wasn't sure how to answer his question. I decided to dance around the bush.

'You know how it is with the beginning of every issue. Stress, stress, stress!'

He didn't push further into the topic, and I enjoyed the quiet ride to work.