Chapter Twenty Four - Sleeping Beauty

She squeezed my hand the moment her eyes met mine. It was weak, but I felt it. There was a silent message in that soft squeeze of hers; she was telling me she was glad to see me. I felt the life creeping back into me again. My heart did a triple somersault and a pirouette and about five cartwheels. I could stare at those eyes forever; those deep blue, crystal clear eyes. I was seeing the soul within for the very first time since I've known her. She wasn't hiding her feelings. She didn't wear her perfectly contoured mask today.

No.

She was just Genevieve; body and soul.

And it made me fall in love with her all over again, like that was even possible. At that point, I couldn't help but feel a very weird moment of déjà vu. There was something about seeing Genevieve; the real Genevieve, which made me feel like I've known her from a long time ago. A different lifetime maybe. I didn't really believe in this stuff but at that particular moment I couldn't deny what I was feeling.

She took a long and deep breath and started crying all of a sudden, as she squeezed my hand even tighter.

She wasn't just crying. She was sobbing manically. I felt my whole world was crumbling right before my eyes, and I was stuck in my place like a statue. I looked at the doctor anxiously. He was checking her vitals and trying to assess the situation the best he could.

'What's wrong?', was the only thing I could think of asking at the time.

'I'm sorry. I'm so sorry', she said between sobs.

She was sorry? That didn't make any sense.

I wanted to gather her between my arms and tell her that none of this was her fault. She was the victim here. I was supposed to save her but instead I let her slip through my fingertips. This was not in any way, shape or form her mistake. What in the world could she be sorry for?

Instead, I shushed her and stared at the doctor worriedly. He had warned me against any physical contact because her bones were still healing. He, in return, pulled out a syringe and emptied it in her I.V. drip. She slowly started to calm down and went back to sleep.

'Is she in pain?', I asked Dr. Tanner, trying to justify what happened.

'Physically, she has a lot of morphine in her system so she shouldn't be feeling a thing. Mentally and emotionally, however, well, only time and good counselling could help', he said, and with that left the room.

She was mentally and emotionally in pain? How in the world was I supposed to go about knowing she was in any sort of pain? I held on to her hand again and started slobbering it with kisses. Her hand seemed so perfect, but they were still worryingly cold.

I've never prayed harder as much as I had prayed while I held on to her hand. Instead of giving her strength, she was the one who was reviving my faith. I wanted to be stronger for her, to make her know that she had me by her side whenever she needed me.

I'm right here, I wanted to tell her. I'm right next to you.

Someone knocked at the door and startled me. It was Claire and Madison. They came in with flowers and chocolates.

'I thought the doctor was going to wake her up today', Madison said as she placed the beautiful bouquet of red and white roses by the bed.

'He did, but when she woke up she started crying so he gave her something to help her rest', I explained.

Madison frowned when she heard the word "cry". I guess her boss wasn't as tough as she thought she was. I think Madison will look differently at Genevieve from now on.