Chapter 4

*Oh, hey guys! Sorry for the delay buuuttt another update so yeah, here we go (>^_^)>

"Who's that?"

"Dan, that you mate?"

"Did you find Phil?"

As soon as we open the door, urgent voices start whispering in the darkness. I tense up, not sure whereabouts the voices came from.

We're in a small room. I can tell because there is no echo like there was in the tunnel back there.

The guy stands ahead of me. I can see his tall silhouette outlined in the pitch black.

"It's just me, guys. No sign of Phil. I found another survivor though."

The guy turns back to me and beckons me closer.

"You ok, Lee? Uh, you can sit here."

I obey the stranger, sitting down in the spot he pointed to.

He closes the door quietly, draws a bolt across it and then kneels down beside me. I feel a hand brush against my leg. I widen my eyes in fright and almost scream. I realize I'm sitting almost shoulder-to-shoulder with another stranger.

Suddenly the place is lit up by a phone flashlight. It takes a second for my eyes to adjust. I look around, blinking.

I'm in a store-room of some sort, with four other people, all youngish-looking men, including the guy who rescued me. They're all sitting down with their backs against the wall.

For a minute, we all sit in silence, rubbing our eyes and blinking in the harsh, artificial light.

A brown-haired, nerdy-looking guy wearing glasses is the first to break the silence.

"Hello, um - I didn't catch your name, sorry?"

I glance nervously at him. I've never had the best social skills, to be honest. This guy seems sweet, though.

"Lee. Like the boy's name."

The nerdy guy chuckles, smiling awkwardly at me.

"I'm PJ, like pyjamas!"

It's my turn to laugh. I start to feel a bit more comfortable. PJ starts talking again.

"This is Chris," - PJ points to the guy next to him, who's cuddled up to him - "and that's Jamal beside you."

The tanned, skinny guy next to me nods to me, grinning.

"And I'm Dan, by the way. I probably should've introduced myself earlier!"

Before now, I had never actually looked at my rescuer properly, due to the darkness and me having my eyes closed for most of the journey here.

I turn to him beside me, and gasp loudly. Dark, messy hair. Soft, chocolate-coloured eyes. Awkward half-smile.

Oh my God... It couldn't be...?

"D-Dan?" I stutter stupidly, staring at him. "As in Dan Howell?"

"That's me. You know me from YouTube, I suppose?"

I sit there, feeling quite embarrassed now.

"Uh, yeah. I, uh..." - I feel my face quickly going red - "I watch your videos and stuff."

I look down awkwardly. I can feel everyone's eyes boring into me. Thankfully, PJ changes the subject.

"Did you get any food, Dan? The supplies are low and we're starving."

Dan shakes his head.

"Like I said before, there's almost nothing up there. Everything was destroyed or soiled in the storm."

We sit in silence, each of us lost in our own thoughts. I suddenly remember an Aero bar that has been sitting in the inside pocket of my jacket for the past week. I pull it out and show it to PJ.

"Here, we can share this if you want."

The faces of PJ and the others immediately light up at the sight of the chocolate.

"Are you sure? Wow, thanks! Here, everyone can have three squares."

PJ breaks the bar into pieces and passes it around to everyone. I have never seen people eat so hungrily, the way they all quickly crammed the chocolate into their gaping mouths!

I giggled.

"Wharf's tho funny?" Dan asks with his mouth full. "We'fe been thurfifing on tinth of baked beanth for the patht two dayth!"

"Sounds rough", I sigh, nibbling on my own piece of Aero.

I still don't really know what has happened. You're not exactly in the centre of the action when you're passed out under a staircase.

When the guys finish their pitifully small chunks of chocolate, I turn to them in a serious manner.

"So... will you guys finally fill me in on what the hell has happened?"