Chapter 1: A Prankster in the Making

Start from the beginning

"We'll only tell you if you agree to help us," Fred told her, crossing his arms over his chest.

"We think a little mayhem might be just want you need, Granger. You always have to follow the rules. You need to let loose a little." She frowned. How could they think she was such an honorable student? Last year she broke about fifty school rules alone just by brewing the Polyjuice Potion. She was far from a perfect student. She could be a rebel. She could prank someone. She didn't have to run to McGonagall all the time.

"Alright," Hermione said. Fred looked at her in surprise.

"Didn't think you'd agree so fast, Granger," he told her. "Thought we'd have to drag you along with us."

"Just tell me what you're going to do."

George, in answer, held up a small piece of candy. Hermione frowned. What could a piece of candy do?

"Fred and I made it," George explained. "Not sure what it'll do yet, though." That scared Hermione for a moment. They made something and didn't know what it was going to do? They could accidentally poison Malfoy! Sure, the boy was an evil cockroach, but he didn't deserve to be poisoned. But, Fred and George were fifth years. Surely, they knew better than to poison someone. Right?

"Come along, Granger," Fred beckoned. "Me and George will slip it into his robes. You distract him." George walked down the corridor to see if anyone was coming.

Hermione gulped. What was she getting herself into? She was going to get detention! If something went wrong, something did happen to Malfoy, she could be expelled for endangering another student's life. But Hermione had already determined she was going to be a rebel. She had a point to prove.

So, she straightened and nodded. "I can do that." George peered around the corner, before walking back to where Fred and Hermione were standing.

"Here he comes. His goons are with him, too," George stated.

"That's you Hermione," Fred told her. "Just distract him long enough for us to put the candy into the pocket of his robes." Hermione nodded. She could do that.

Fred and George hid in an alcove while she tapped her foot impatiently. What was she going to do? He would know something was amiss if she were to immediately start talking to him.

She could see his luminescent blonde hair walking towards her. He was waving his arms about in an animated conversation with Crabbe and Goyle. She flattened against the wall. What was she going to do? Why had she even agreed to do this? She should just turn around and forget this whole thing.

But she didn't.

Instead, she found her feet carrying her forward, towards Malfoy. She kept her eyes trained on the ground, deliberately not looking at Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle. Her heart was pounding against her chest. Only a few steps more.

CRASH!

Hermione and Malfoy collidated. She threw her body against his, causing him to lose balance and fall to the ground. Crabbe and Goyle stared, dumbfounded, completely confused on the turn of events. "Watch where you're going, Mudblood!" shouted Malfoy in anger. He tried to climb to his feet as Hermione did the same. But at the last minute, Hermione lost her balance again, knocking into Crabbe. With the confusion swirling around in Crabbe's brain, he did not have time to stop himself from falling into Goyle, knocking them both to the ground.

How thick can they be? Hermione wondered to herself.

"Oh, I am sorry!" Hermione stated, innocence plastered onto her face. Malfoy glared once more at her.