Chapter 1

Chapter 1

The moment I stepped out of my house I had a sinking feeling in my stomach; I knew it had been a bad idea to come. I hate stupid weddings anyway, all women do is gossip and moan about everyone and everything. Sometimes I feel sorry for them really, they have a privileged lifestyle with money yet they've got nothing better to do than gossip, how sad. But today I did not feel sorry for them, nowhere near sorry in fact.

I walked into the 'grand' hall as my parents called it, with my older brother Jamal, who had come with his in laws. It was great to see mum so happy, after all she had been through, it was the least she deserved. My favourite uncle my mum's brother had recently passed away in a car accident two weeks ago. I was really close to him. Uncle Adam was the best he always took my side whenever I had a dispute with mum. It's hard to believe he's gone, he was at our house for my birthday the day it happened. The most memorable moments I spent with my uncle will always be the happiest ones, it took some time but I eventually accepted that all the anger in the world won't ever bring him back. If the memories of him are all I can keep in my heart then I will gratefully treasure them. But I still feel guilty for what happened, I was the one that insisted and begged him to go out and buy me ice cream, even though I knew it was meant to snow. They had warned in the weather forecast that day there would be heavy snow around 9pm, but it was nearly 10pm at the time and I really wanted ice cream, so I insisted knowing I would eventually get my way since it was my birthday.

I sighed no amount of guilt can change anything now. Anyway I've changed for the better; I want to be happy because I know that's what Uncle Adam would have wanted. At that moment I could feel the tears so close to falling down my face, so I casually 'fixed' my make-up, swiping two fingers under my eyes. Phew thank god that was close. Ok enough emotional drama, I'm going to be here for a good couple of hours so I might as well keep busy. I looked over at my mother and smiled as I saw her laughing talking to one of her friends. I swear that's the only thing that keeps me sane at events like this, the fact that my mother is happy. She still thinks that she can convince me to get married, typical Asian parent. I sigh if only I had more male Asian friends I would tell them to warn all Asian Pakistani Bachelors to refuse and steer clear if they so much as heard my name, if only life were that simple...

My dad hadn't said anything though but I couldn't shake the look he had on his face whenever mum brought up the topic, he would smile and half-heartedly agree then he'd get this sad look on his face and try to hide it. But I caught him and it made my feelings against marriage so much stronger.

Great my week just keeps getting better and better NOT. This entire week mum has been nagging me about the whole marriage thing and now I had a bad feeling she was up to something. This meant it would soon be time to make a swift exit. My brother was too busy talking to his wife being newlyweds and all. I have to admit they look cute together. Saying this however they were complete opposites, with a passion of being as stubborn as each other, chuckling I thought I wonder who I got my childish and stubborn attitude from..... and the award goes to .... my brother, the one and only Jamal Fareedi!!!!!

Chuckling to myself as I looked around the hall, get a grip I thought, you can't seriously be that bored. Just as I was thinking this I saw a couple of aunties (If a woman is more than 5 years older than you, related or not she's your auntie, that is if you are Asian!) four tables down from us pointing at our table. After pretending not to notice, when I peeked a glance again I recognised one. How could I not have noticed her before, she is the lying b**** that spread rumours about me having a boyfriend a couple of years ago. She nearly ruined my life, that selfish cow. One thing that I cannot stand above all else is lying, everyone knew that. One time uncle told me a quote: "lies were like acid, corrosive: They could dissolve trust in a heartbeat" (ROB THURMAN,Nightlife).There have been some times when I found out I had been lied to and I just couldn't bring myself to forgive or trust that person, I am known for holding a grudge against liars! My uncle Adam always said it's because I'm too innocent and believe the lies that's why I end up getting hurt, we both knew he was right but I doubt he knew how spot on his judgement had been. It seems stupid but, the first time he had said that to me I just stood there shocked for a moment because it was so true.