Ch. 6: Bag of Cobras

Hayley was looking for Freya and Keelin to ask Freya a favor, for her to help see memories of the night that Hayley's parents had died, because Hayley thought that the Hollow had made her dead husband's grandfather kill her parents, and other Labonairs had fallen prey to bad things as well, leading us to believe that her family had something to do with the Hollow, which is why Hayley wanted to see the memories to find out. Elijah was working with Vincent to find out who was working with the Hollow, either willingly, or taken over like the victims that we had seen. 

I had left Hope and Rae with Mary at her cabin in the bayou, walking into the compound early morning to see compelled servants setting up for a party, confused, turning to see Klaus standing on the balcony above the courtyard. "We were heading out, and now we're throwing a party, I see."

Klaus smiled. "One that will be attended by New Orleans' most influential creatures."

I gave him an amused look. "You do realize that everyone hates you."

"But they love Marcel, and as the invite states, he is the cohost," Klaus told me. "Tonight, we celebrate our truce."

I leaned against a table next to me to look up at him in amusement, tilting my head. "So, you're throwing a fake party in honor of a fake truce, and your guest of honor is in a dungeon."

Klaus walked downstairs toward me. "Marcel's attendance would only complicate matters. Besides, I'll have my hands full weeding out those in league with the Hollow."

"Mm, sounds like you could use some help with that," I told him. "Elijah is with Vincent trying to help out, and Hayley is asking a favor of Freya about finding out what really happened to her parents. Hope and Rae are with Mary, having peaceful fun day. What do you need from me?" Klaus reached me, standing by my side, opening his mouth to speak. "And before you try to talk me out of danger, remember that both of our daughters almost died, and I want to protect Rae just as much as you want to protect Hope. And I want to protect your daughter as much as I want to protect mine, too."

Klaus sighed, smiling, amused and impressed. I smiled, shrugging.

*********

The servants were still setting up for the party.

I was standing next to a large fleur-de-lis ice sculpture in the middle of the room, looking around the room at the purple and gold linens and more fleur-de-lis shapes on the beams around the courtyard, smiling. 

Klaus was getting wine ready.

Elijah walked in. "Well, you've outdone yourself."

"I'm inclined to agree," Klaus told him. 

I looked around, running a finger along the ice sculpture. "It's such a shame these lovely linens will soon be red with blood."

"Violence must only be seen as a last resort, or it will only weaken our position," Elijah told us.

"Yes, well, I'm a creature of very specific habits," Klaus told him, using a knife to point at Elijah.

Elijah took the knife from Klaus, walking around him. "Brother, please remember, the plan tonight is to create a false sense of security." The brothers turned to face each other. "A little music, a little champagne, some stealthy reconnaissance." Elijah used the knife to point at Klaus for a moment, giving both of us a significant look. "No bloodshed." He turned away to put the knife down on a nearby table. "Do we understand each other?"

I turned toward Elijah, tilting my head. "They threatened Hope, they threatened Rae, they threatened Klaus and Marcel and all of us. So maybe, just maybe, bloodshed is inevitable."