Tim sighed and talked silently to who I supposed was Hannah, before responding.

“4:00 is better if you can make it. We would all love to see you,” He said and then hung up without a goodbye.

I knew that Kara heard the entire conversation by the way she was looking at me.

“Why does he always act so protective? It’s like he’s your dad or something,” She said, and Jc chuckled silently.

A look of confusion crossed Kara’s face before she brushed it off and headed towards her room.

Over the last week, I had shared so much of my life with Jc, and now he practically knew everything about me. That was another reason why I didn’t want to get involved with him though, because I didn’t want to ruin the mutual trust that we had.

He had told me more about himself too, and I enjoyed being able to listen to someone else’s difficulties instead of focusing on my own all the time.

“You doing okay today?” He asked me, bringing the mug of coffee up to his lips that were chapped from the cold.

“Yeah, I really am. Every day is better than the last,” I replied with a smile.

He made an effort to check on me every chance that he got, which awoke the butterflies resting in my stomach. He really did care about me, didn’t he?

“Veronica? You sure? Hello?” Jc was carrying on the conversation while any logical part of my mind was stuck up in the clouds. I shook it off, then looked back up at him.

“Yeah I’m fine. Thanks.”

***Connor’s POV***

“Aren’t you going to tell me where we are going?” I asked Jennifer, who was practically bouncing out of the driver’s seat next to me with excitement.

She turned to me and smiled. I felt guilty for thinking this, but she really did have a beautiful smile, and I loved the fact that she had been using it a lot lately.

“You’ll see. It’s not even that big of a deal, so don’t get too excited,” She said, although she still seemed very enthusiastic.

I spent the last few weeks with her, but in my defense, it was kind of unavoidable. She did live in the same house as me now, so I was forced to see her everyday. Plus, I still couldn’t drive well with this cast, and my car was in the shop.

Ever since Jenny kissed me, she was giving me much more space. I was just beginning to think of her as a friend, and I didn’t want to be anything more than that.

Because we we are practically brother and sister now.

And because of Ronnie.

The anticipation was killing me, and even though she said that it wasn’t a big deal, I could tell that she was lying through her teeth.

Ten minutes later, we rolled into the Nelsen Pier and Amusement Park. It was a local pier that had rides open from December to the end of summer. The last time I came here was with Veronica over the summer.

“Come on, Ronnie, it’ll be fine. Just this one ride, then we can do something else,” I tried to convince her to follow me.

She tilted her head upward to look at the tall rollercoaster. There was fear in her eyes when she looked back down at me, and the face alone was enough to tell me that she wasn’t going to go.

“I’ll be right there next to you the whole time, come on. It’ll be fun, I promise,” I pressed for her to come on the ride.

Inside, I knew the only reason I wanted her to come was so I could hold onto her when she was scared, but I didn’t want to admit that to myself or anyone else, at least not rust yet.

I shook off the thought and hopped quickly out of the car. This was a chance to make new memories, not dwell on the old ones.

“Wow, I haven’t been to Nelsen since summer. I love this place,” I said to Jennifer, looking out at the tall ferris wheel that was the newest addition to the Pier.

A few hours later, we had been on most of the exciting rides and it was starting to get dark outside. Just as I was about to suggest it, Jenny turned around and pointed at the ferris wheel that began to light up with an array of colors in the semi-darkness.

“Lets go,” She whispered excitedly, almost like a little kid, before snatching my arm and dragging me to the long line.

Further ahead in the line, I spotted Kara and Grace. I would've said hello to them, but they probably hated me because Ronnie broke up with me.

That was one thing I would never understand about girls; the fact that they would always hate their friend’s ex even if the break up wasn’t their fault.

Looking at the two of them reminded me of something else I would never understand. Kara and Grace’s hands were intertwined as they inched forward in the line, their heads falling back in laughter. Why did girls hold hands if they were just friends?

It just seemed weird to me.

But in another moment, when the two girls got into a car that stopped just at the top of the wheel, I understood.

Just as the ride halted at the highest point, the two girls leaned in and kissed.

Realization hit me.

They were gay.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just to get this out of the way, I support gay rights.

Now that that’s over, I’m so sorry that it’s been a while. I have had a whole ton of school work this quarter, and I have two french competitions coming up that I’ve been working really hard on, so that’s why this is so delayed.

Did you love that flashback? I did.

I still love you all and work really hard on this, so thank you so much for reading!

Love Always,

~shelbigrace