"I'm already sixteen." Clayton grunted. 

That didn't faze Gwen though, "An older boy, how intriguing! Anyway, hypothetically speaking, you're turning sixteen tomorrow and want a very low-key shindig with some friends. Where do you go?"

My gaze rested up and found Clayton looking down at me, something sparking in his eyes. I shifted in my seat while dropping my eyes to my lap. Ned was already opening his mouth, filling the odd silence. "It's Florence's birthday tomorrow. We're...trying to find the perfect thing to do in celebration." 

Clayton nodded slowly, "Well, there's an old school bowling alley in Crown Heights. They have a killer playlist and cheap drinks on Saturday nights. There's also a cool arcade next door." Our table was quiet with his response. "But maybe that's not your thing, teacher's pet."

I could feel his eyes on me again and suddenly, his words were filling a weird void in my chest. Maybe that's not your thing. His little nickname was fuelling a fiery pit in my mind. I already knew Clayton thought I was nothing but a boring overachieving student and now, having him stare at me and claim some trendy bowling alley and arcade wouldn't be my thing, was getting under my skin. "You know what? That sounds great." I quickly blurted out, my friends staring across at me in total surprise. "Ned, do you want to come?"

Ned was just as surprised, "Um, yeah. That would be fun."

My eyes sliced away from Ned, glaring up at Clayton. "Thanks for the suggestion, Clayton." Mary Jane was already trying to suppress a laugh, Gwen watching with wide eyes while chewing on her drink straw. I could feel Clayton's mind ticking, maybe waiting for his own invitation. With a smug smirk on my lips, I lifted up my glass to him. "Could I get a refill?"

He was already shaking his head but didn't say a single word while he refilled my drink and then went back to work, his face remaining blank once again. Gwen was slinging an arm around my shoulder with glee. "That was so cold, Flo. But very impressive." I sipped at my drink, smiling lightly. "Anyway, sweet sixteen, here we come."

***

The bowling alley and arcade in Crown Heights was indeed trendy, according to Gwen who thought she was very tuned into everything cool and hashtag worthy in New York. With my friends in tow, we played a few friendly games of bowling while chugging down soft drink and munching on hotdogs and chips. With the bright flashing lights, classic 80s songs blaring from the speakers, we celebrated my sixteenth birthday in style, and maybe for the fist time bad luck didn't touch me. 

While versing Mary Jane and Harry in foosball, my cheeks almost hurt from smiling so much. Peter stood close behind me, helping me play against our opponents. With my back pressed against his chest, we laughed loudly as we won again and again. "You're totally cheating, nobody is this good at foosball!" Harry shouted, being a sore loser.   

My head rested backwards, grinning wildly. Peter's arms wrapped around my waist so naturally, allowing me to lean against him. "You're just moody because we're winning." Peter pointed out, laughing quietly as Mary Jane set the next game.

Music pumped through the old school styled arcade, everything light and breezy tonight. Gwen, Flash and Ned were behind us playing on a pinball machine, their gleeful shouting meeting my ears as I turned my head slightly, spying them huddled together. That's when I spotted Clayton Cole near the Pac Man machine with somebody I didn't know. Naturally, my eyes were rolling and I turned away to ignore him. I wasn't letting him bring me down tonight. 

"I like winning," Harry was saying now proudly. "Come on, Mary Jane, let's hit the air hockey table and I can show you how a man really wins." Mary Jane was letting out a squeal as Harry's hand dipped around her waist and kissed her lips quickly before pulling her away and leaving the two of us alone. 

Us Against The World 。 Peter Parker [2]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें