Chapter 26. Finding an Anchor

Start from the beginning

My phone started blasting the annoying preset ringtone I have yet to change. Upon glancing at the screen, I let out a sigh. It was my mom. I can't let her know that I got out of the house while I was sleeping. Is that even possible? How can I drive all the way to a power station while I was sleeping?  I let the phone ring as I dropped it back into my pocket and searched for the exit. I have no freaking idea what I'm doing here.

The beeping from my phone continued, telling me that I had a number of missed calls, voice mails, and text messages. The sun was up and shining through the windows in the next room, so I think it's safe to say that I am running late to school. After wandering around aimlessly, desperately searching for an exit-- I ended up at a stairwell. I took this time to check the time, it was 11:43...Lunch would be starting in seventeen minutes. Hopefully I can make it to school by then.

Another text message popped up on my screen, it was from Stiles. I tapped the screen instantly, pulling open the message.

Kasey where are you? I'm freaking out here. Please call me or text me.

I didn't want to call and attempt to explain this to him, only to have to re-explain myself once I got to school. So, I sent a quick text telling him that I was okay and that I was on my way to school. The power station was empty, which struck me odd; shouldn't people be working right now?

My car was the only one in the lot.

☾   ☾      ☽   ☽

"Thank God," Stiles breathed out in relief as he jumped up from the table he had been sitting at, approaching me and wrapping his broad arms around me tightly. I let out a sigh as I closed my eyes and rested my head against his chest, the steady rise and fall lulling me into a tranquil state.

I hadn't realized how much I missed him just holding me against him like this. It feels like it's been years since we've been able to just be a normal couple, I can't remember the last time we even went out on a date and just spent time together. After a few moments of bliss in Stiles' arms, he led us back over to the table where Scott, Allison, Lydia, and Isaac were all gathered.

Scott was watching me wearily, "Where were you?"

"I have no idea, some power station," I shrugged as I placed my elbows on the table. I didn't have my backpack with me, meaning I won't have anything for my afternoon classes. Today is certainly shaping up to be a terrible one.

Allison managed to ask the question that my brother was preparing to ask after hearing my odd response, "A power station?"

"Yeah. I don't know. I guess I like, drove there last night. I don't remember," I mumbled dubiously. There is no doubt that my response would set off warning bells in everyone’s' heads but I have no other way of answering them without lying. And I really don't want to lie to them.

I risked a hesitant glance at my friends around the table. Thankfully Stiles picked up on how uneasy I was feeling, he placed his hand on my thigh and gave it a reassuring squeeze before glancing at me with his heavenly tawny brown eyes that cause my heart to spring into overdrive.

"Okay, so you drove in your sleep?" Isaac asked, his abashed tone made me even more uncomfortable about the entire situation. Apparently, my sleep walking has now evolved into me driving around Beacon Hills in a sort of fugue state.

Scott sighed, "Well I think what happened with Kasey this morning goes along with everything we were just talking about. Like, what happens to a person who's had a near death experience and comes out of it seeing things?"