Chapter 2

When Ghan was just a kid, his life had been exciting. Some days, he would wake up to find a human-sized vole in bed next to him. When the vole would wake up, it would insist on making pancakes for him. To an eight-year-old, it felt funny to see his vole-dad flip flapjacks. Now, not so much. If he only woke up to a vole, Ghan considered it a good day. That was because there had been other not-so-good moments. Those included the one when Jab had returned home from a vetting assignment as a Spinosaurus. The teenage Ghan had not found it amusing when his dad munched on his pancakes, all the while eyeing him. Dino-dad had looked as if he would have preferred Ghan-cakes instead!

While Ghan's mom was alive, she had been the family breadwinner. Unlike her, Jab did not have the smarts to design dresses for the affluent. Her boutique had become history just a week after her cremation. After her death, Jab had had to find a way to survive. Ghan continued his musings uninterrupted as he walked to the school he taught at. I was the reason Dad had to go under the knife the first time. If only I had been able to hold a job. He knew it was unfair for him to expect that from his seven-year-old self. However, Ghan hated the long periods of absence that sprang up when his dad was on an assignment. At grade school, his friends thought Ghan's life was so cool. What did they know? They never had to wake up next to a jigsaw of borrowed transformations that loosely resembled their dad!

It was not only the transformations and the continuously expiring organs that meant more transformations that angered Ghan. That I could have handled. It is the fact that he risks his life every time he vets a new bacteriosphere. Who knew what the scouts might have missed! Nobody could predict that everything was accounted for and supported by a transformed ability. All the scouts did was make deductions from outside of a newly sighted colony. Jab and his team were the first ones to venture into the alien environment. That was why Ghan had studied hard and earned several degrees on various subjects. The ten-year-old Ghan had called it knowing everything about everything. The adult Ghan called it saving his dad's life!

As Ghan walked into the school's building, his communicator beeped. "Ghan", he answered simply.

"Dr. Ghan, I am a big fan. It is such an honor to be talking to you!" The person on the other end sounded excited.

Thinking that this was another groupie, Ghan responded curtly, "I am guessing there is a reason behind this call."

Undeterred, the man continued, "Of course! I know you must be very busy but I needed some help. My dissertation on the Anthropocene is almost complete. I have almost all the information...thanks to your many books and articles on the subject." The man paused to breathe and Ghan felt he needed to interject a thank you somewhere.

"Uh...I am glad that my work has been of help." He had even managed to get his tone to warm up a degree or two.

Maybe I am able to have a human conversation, after all, wondered Ghan. The next sentence brought that train of thought to a screeching halt. The still-unnamed speaker requested, "I was thinking that we could maybe meet."

"I see. We can always video-conference, Mr...." Ghan relented after a few seconds of silence.

"Wick. Ed Wick. Sir, I know you are very busy. I just need to ask a few questions. I won't take too much of your time. You see, I have been fascinated by corals ever since I was a kid!"

Oh no, why did he have to use the C-word. Ghan panicked. The possibility of having a conversation loomed ever closer now.

"I want to talk about how corals...things that were not even completely alive... could bring about the end of the world!" Wick said.

 could bring about the end of the world!" Wick said

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

Goddamn it! swore Ghan internally. That was his favorite subject. Moreover, Ghan could not let an opportunity to educate like this pass. It was his job as a scientist and a teacher. "When would you like to meet, Mr. Ed Wick?" Ghan found himself saying.

A few minutes later, Ghan hung up and walked into the class after he had exchanged the necessary information. "Good morning!" he greeted his junior school students.

"Good morning, sir!" they greeted him back.

"What did we study the last time?" he queried.

A dark-haired kid raised his hand.

"Yes, Aown?" Ghan prompted him.

"We were talking about acidification of the seas, sir."

It was good to instill awareness in them while young. That way, when they grew up, it gave them a sense of responsibility.

The Better To See You Withजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें