Chapter 3

The siblings returned from their ride close to nine o'clock, making it back just in time to meet their curfew. They were met by their parents and grandparents at the door of the castle. The adults smiled when they saw the kids laughing at a joke that one of their honor guard made. Nikita seemed more relaxed than she had when she had rushed out of the dining room, but there was still a hint of wariness in her bright blue eyes.

"Hurry to your rooms, children, and finish your studies before bed," Princess Madeline said lovingly. Each child walked over and hugged their mother, father, grandmother, then grandfather before making their way towards the large stairway. Before Nikita could even walk up the first of the dark hardwood stairs, however, Prince James called his daughter's name.

"Yes, father?" she asked, turning towards him.

"Let me walk with you," he replied, walking to her side.

As the two walked up the stairs, then down the halls towards Nikita's room, a comfortable silence permeated the room. Finally, Prince James broke the silence. "I know you hate this idea, Nikita, but you must understand that it is a necessity."

"But why, Father?" Nikita asked.

"To strengthen ties to our allies and create new allies," he told her, opening the dark oak door to the girl's bedroom, allowing his daughter to walk inside.

She settled on the large, soft bed as her father sat in a soft arm chair across to her. "Do I have a choice?"

Prince James sighed, leaning back and studying her face. "Sweetheart, you always have a choice. You just have to decide what you want to make of your life. It is your job, given to you from birth, to care for your country before anything else. How are you going to do that?"

"So instead of forcing me to marry someone, you're going to make it so that if I don't, I'll feel like I am failing Estonova," she commented dryly.

"No, I am giving you a choice. Is a marriage the only way you can serve your country?" Prince James chuckled at her screwed up little face. "Do not let this distress you so, child. You have four years to figure this out before you are of marriageable age."

"Won't the country be upset if I don't marry for political purposes?" Nikita asked, curling her feet up underneath her.

"I do not believe the country would be upset by you marrying for other reasons. They love you and would not begrudge you this."

"Then why must we even consider these offers, Father?"

"Partially out of respect towards the other countries, and partially to keep the aristocrats at bay." Father and daughter laughed. "Now, sweetheart, it is time for you to rest."

"Yes, Father."

"I will see you in the morning." He kissed her gently on her forehead, then walked towards the door.

"Goodnight."

"Goodnight. I love you, little one," he told her, smiling at her from the door.

"I love you too."

Once her father closed the doors, Nikita turned to her studies. Her attention was split between the mathematics problems before her and the possibility of meeting a husband she did not want the next day. At ten thirty, Nanna walked in to help her prepare for bed. The two sat in silence as Nanna took her charge's hair down and Nikita picked up her history book. Once her hair was out of the fancy half pony-tail, Nanna started brushing her hair.

"Nanna?"

"Yes, dear?" the older lady replied.

"Would you be angry if I didn't marry the dauphin?'

"No, angel. No one would," she assured her.

"Thank you, Nanna."

Nanna placed the hairbrush on the table. "You're welcome, child."

Nikita woke up a few hours later, disoriented by how dark it was outside. Her confusion as to why she had awoken at such an early hour was answered quite quickly. The sounds of screaming and gun shots startled her into sitting up in bed. Before she could move, she felt a cold, hard barrel being pressed against her back.

"Don't move. Don't scream. You're coming with me."