- 07

— 07

[ 이혜리 lee hye ri ]

Today's science class is pretty much the usual boring routine, except for the fact that we're assigned partners for our next assignment and I'm paired up with the school's complete jerk bag, Choi Myungsoo. He's well-known for being a wannabe delinquent who doesn't actually do crime, but causes a lot of trouble.

Mr. Ji gives us some time to discuss with our partner for about 5 minutes or so.

"So, just make sure you finish this before the deadline. Don't make me fail," he commands me as if he's my boss.

"And how exactly are you going to help me?"

"I'm not going to."

"Then I'll tell Mr. Ji about it."

"Do you even want me to help you? If I do anything, you're going to fail."

"Look, okay. I'm a busy person. I have to go to swimming practice practically every day, and it's impossible to finish this by myself."

I'm exhausted from even bothering to talk to this guy. What's with his arrogance? Who does he think he is?

"Your point?"

"My point is, you have to help me. You're my freaking partner, Choi Myungsoo. I'll start it off and we'll finish everything on Friday."

"What's in it for me?"

"Your grade. Our grades."

"No thanks. Give me something else."

"Fine, what do you want?"

"You," he says and the bell immediately starts ringing, indicating break time.

I'm speechless for a while, but he's just a flirt who's trying to play with me, so I brush it off.

"Okay, what do you want? Let's make this mutual. You get me what I want and I get you what you want."

"I just want you."

"Stop joking around here."

I'm more than annoyed already, but I start to realize that I can accept his offer. This can benefit the both of us.

"Okay," I start to say, "I don't want you, but I need you. So this can work out."

"You need me? Now you're talking," he says with such a cocky tone that I wish I never said anything to him.

"Okay, I refuse to get into detail about this. I need you to hang out with me and talk to me every break time. That's all."

"Hm, I'm good with that. I want the exact same thing from you. We'll do this project together. Let's start tomorrow."

"Deal," we simultaneously say. Then, we silently go back to our seats like nothing happened and patiently wait for the tiny amount of time left of the break to finish.

[ the next day ]

I walk to school by myself because Joohyuk didn't bother coming by for the first time.

My pace is slow since I don't have a reason to be fast. I look down while walking, just thinking about life until something and my head suddenly collide. I notice I accidentally bumped into someone and apologize right away.

"Sorry," I say and bow.

"It's alright." It's a voice I am sure I've heard before, so I look up and see nobody else but Choi Myungsoo.

"Oh, it's you. Good morning."

"Hey," he replies.

I'm not quite sure if we're supposed to be walking together, but we somehow end up doing that. He strikes up a conversation, and eventually we immerse into one, without even stopping. Something I notice is that he's already using informal language with me. He's the first person to do it since I came to my new school. Neither Joohyuk nor Teurina even speak informally to me.

We shortly arrive in school and we still walk together to our classroom. We enter at the same time and receive shocked faces. The naive new girl with the school's top bad boy, what a peculiar pair, something you definitely don't see often.

We don't exchange glances or even bother to do anything of that sort. We simply proceed to our own seats and mind our own selves.

The morning classes are ever so normal. We have science again and since the teacher is honestly too lazy to think of a worthy discussion, he decides to let us talk with our partner to discuss our assignment. It's pretty much free time, if you ask me.

"Have you started?" Myungsoo asks. I don't know if he's showing concern or indirectly telling me in a not-so threatening way that I better get started.

"Well... no. I have practice this Friday, but today I don't. So we have to get started together and finish it if that's even possible."

"And where exactly will we do this, Ms. Bossy Pants?"

"I don't know. My house, Mr. Cocky Skirt?"

"Your house? Your room? Wow, why not?"

"Did I say my room? Well, sorry to break it to you, but we'll be working in my basement. Don't worry though, it isn't as bad as it sounds."

"Okay."

[ dismissal ]

"Let's get going," I say to Myungsoo as soon as we get out of class together.

"Oh, about that... meet me at the school entrance. I have to do something real quick." And with that, he disappears, leaving me confused and kind of mad.

-

it's pretty cool because when i published this chapter, this book had less than 100 reads, but now, less than 3 months later, it has 800+ reads!

PUBLISHED ON:
22 may 2017

REWRITTEN ON:
13 aug 2017

fabjules