“That’s it,” Thad said standing.  “I’m going to get a drink.  A man can only take so much of this bashing.”

“Bring me back a virgin strawberry thing,” Camille said smiling.

“Would you like another soda, Eve?” Doug asked rising to his feet as well.

“Water would be great,” Eve said.  “Too much sugar keeps me awake at night.”

“Eve,” Camille said as soon as the men were away from the table.  “I owe you an apology.”

“Please don’t,” Eve said.  “You were concerned about your friend.”

“Yes, but he had asked me to not get involved.  You were a guest in my home and I was horrible to you.”

Eve was alarmed by the distress she heard in Camille’s voice and the tears forming in her eyes.  Different things that Doug had said indicated that Camille was having a troublesome pregnancy, and Eve didn’t want to be the cause of any more complications for the woman.  But she was at a loss as to how to deal with this.  After a few breaths of silence, Eve decided to be straightforward and to the point.

“I assume Doug explained the whole situation?” Eve asked Camille.

“Yes and I want you to know that I think he’s a dumbass.”

“I won’t argue with that,” Eve said chuckling.

“I’m glad you agreed to come out with us this evening,” Camille said suddenly.  “I wasn’t sure you would, nor was I confident that Doug could make things right with you.”

“Did you know what he was going to do?” Eve asked.  “His proposal scared me half to death.”

“Proposal?” Camille’s eyes widened.  “He didn’t.”

“Oh yes,” Eve smiled.  “He got down on one knee and asked me to be his friend.”

“Oh dear Lord,” Camille said shaking her head.

“I was horrified for those few seconds when I thought he was going to ask me to marry him,” Eve said.  “I know he’s a decent man and all, but…”

“But that would just be adding insult to injury,” Camille finished.

“Exactly.”

As the women shared a comfortable silence, Eve contemplated Doug’s friend.  She hadn’t taken time to examine the close relationship Doug had with the wife of his long time buddy, but it was plain to Eve that there was a special bond between them.  For a moment, she wondered if that wasn’t the motivation behind Doug’s desire for a child without a wife.  If he was in love with Camille, Eve could easily see why he wouldn’t want a relationship with another woman; and yet he longed for a family of his own.

“You know, I’ve never really had a girlfriend,” Camille’s hesitant voice broke through Eve’s thoughts.

“Never?” Eve asked, her eyes widening.

“Oh I’ve had people I’ve called friends, co-workers and acquaintances,” Camille waved a hand through the air as she talked.  “And Doug, of course, is my best friend in the world next to Thad, but they’ve only been part of my life for a few years.”

“That must have been…” Eve struggled for the right word.  “Lonely?”

“I filled time with books,” Camille said.  “When I wasn’t reading, the characters kept me company inside my head.”  Camille’s face contorted.  “I sound insane.”

“No,” Eve assured her.  “You sound like you found a way to cope with life.”

“I’d like to be your friend, Eve,” Camille said with a smile.  “I know I was a bitch on Thanksgiving, but I’d like it if we could move past that.”