Book 3 Chapter 1: Don't Wanna Be All By My 'Elf' Anymore

Começar do início

"Yes, Reinette. I know when the summer break ends- believe me, I'm counting down the days of your return there just as much as you are- but I did mean to say one month." Draco and I both had equally confused looks at this moment, much to Lucius' pleasure. He took the time to sit down beside Narcissa before he continued to speak and answer our unspoken question. "Narcissa and I realized last summer how... unfair we were being by keeping Reinette here for the whole summer, considering she does have other living relatives who- for some inconceivable reason- wish to see her. I then took it upon myself to create a housing schedule with Severus for the summer months. We decided it would be best for you to split up your time between our households so you could make up for lost time with him."

"And so I can get a break from you," Draco told me, seeming to perk up at the news. "I shouldn't have to see you throughout the whole school year and summer break."

"The feeling's mutual," I quipped, feeling a grin spread on my face. Maybe this summer wouldn't be too terrible, if I was only spending half of it with the Malfoys; but I couldn't help but wonder why the Malfoys were so willing to let me leave. They were probably just as weary of me as I was of them, but hadn't they spent last year trying to find my books and peek into the future? Dobby had told me last summer that he had caught Lucius searching my room when I was at the Lupins' home countless times, and if I was having a conversation with Narcissa she would often slip in an inquiry about my reading habits or if I had any particular books I could recommend her. Not exactly the most subtle ways of asking if I would give her my Harry Potter books, but at least it confirmed what I had thought. The Malfoys did want my books and wanted to see what happens soon. I had started keeping my books hidden in Dobby's little room after I figured all this out because I knew the Malfoys would never think of looking there.

With Dobby gone, I'll probably need to find a new place to hide my books, I decided, If I'm leaving the Manor in a month, I'm sure Lucius'll probably search even harder for them.

"So it's settled then!" Narcissa said happily, clapping her hands together. "Everbody's happy with this plan!"

"Why wouldn't we be?" I asked, picking up my stuff and making my way to my room. "I get out of your hair and you three stop driving me nuts sooner. Everyone wins!"

I was too busy having my own mental celebratory party at the news that I'd only stay at Malfoy Manor for a month to hear if any of the Malfoys responded to my wisecrack. The mini party lasted up until I entered my room, where I was met by a little surprise. Two small house elves were in the middle of my room having what seemed to be a disagreement.

"Hello," I said to make myself known, "Who might you two be?"

The smaller elf gave a small squeak of fright, immediately jumping around to see who had spoken. The other one- who had been facing me, but failed to notice- merely widened their eyes in fright and began to shrink away, as if trying to make themselves as small and unnoticeable as possible. The two stared at me and I stared back, unable to think of what to do. The two were obviously frightened, so I guessed they weren't expecting anyone to be coming to this room anytime soon.

The taller elf was quicker to recover from their shock and promptly stood in front of the smaller one, attempting to look as menacing as they possibly could. They had bright blue eyes and came close to my chest in height. They wore what seemed to be an old pillow case with some strip of fabric tied in the middle to act as a sash. The smaller house elf easily hid behind the taller and had large eyes themselves, except one eye was brown and the other green. They looked quite fearful, probably afraid that I was going to punish them.

I had never seen these two before, so it was safe to assume that they were Dobby's replacements. I decided my initial first impression probably hadn't been the best, so I put on my kindest smile and slowly knelt to the elves' heights. "Hello," I said again, giving the two a small wave, "I'm Reinette."