one | ϟ

chapter one | genesis

✧✧✧

Where does it come from, this quest? This need to solve life's mysteries, when the simplest of questions can never be answered

Why are we here?
What is the soul?
Why do we dream?
Perhaps we'd be better off not looking at all. Not delving, not yearning. That's not human nature. Not the human heart. That is not why we are here.

✧✧✧

Gabi looked in the mirror, putting her hair up in a ponytail, wearing a white singlet, black hoodie, skinny jeans and black and white canvas shoes. Gabi grabbed her large handbag and keys and left her apartment. She made her way down the street, her phone started to ring and she looked at it. Nathan Petrelli. The man who was campaigning to become the new Senator. She answered.

"Hey, Nathan," she spoke.

"Hey, you have a minute?" He asked.

"For you, I have 5," she smiled.

She could hear the smile in his tone as he chuckled softly before sighing, "My mother, shoplifted. Can you believe that? She has everything in the world, and what does she do? Shop lifts a pair of socks!" He sighed.

She chuckled. "Oh, come on, that's exactly why she did it, don't you think?"

He groaned. "Really? Peter said it was a cry for help."

"Peter huh?" Gabi stopped walking.
Peter. Gabi looked down, Peter Petrelli, the man she loved, the man she left.

"Sorry, I know your still, healing." His voice softened.

"Healing? Yeah I wouldn't call it that. More like, trying to move on." Gabi sighed.

"Look. I have to go, I have to keep this thing with mum buried, I'll talk to you later, okay?"

"Yeah, all good. See you" Gabi closed her phone, she sighed and looked up and accidentally bumped into someone.

"Check where you're going –"She grunted but stopped when she saw his face. Peter Petrelli. What a surprise. "Peter?" She stood in shock.

"Gabi." He smiled, but you could see the pain behind it. "Long time no see, hey?" He stuttered.

"Yeah, yeah," She scratched the back of her head. "What are you doing this side of town, hmm?" She asked.

"I still work in hospice care,"

"Oh, really?" She sighed.

"Yeah, yeah, what about you? Still a watch maker?" He asked.