Untitled Part 2

"Please, just give me another chance," I begged my boss, Ms. Thompson.

"I'm sorry, Amelia, but I have given you plenty of chances and that was your last!" she yelled, slamming her office door in my face. She was right - she gave me plenty of chances, but for some reason, no matter how hard I tried, I was always late to work. Mom is going to be so mad, I thought. She was upset when I decided not to go to college. She yelled at me, then she would begin to cry, then begin yelling at me again. How am I going to tell her I lost my job for being late again?

I placed my apron and name tag on the counter, saying goodbye to the diner.

"So she really did fire you?" I heard a familiar voice say behind me. I turned around to see my good friend Ethan. Ethan and I have been friends since high school. He was one of the only guys at school who wasn't a complete jerk-face. Not only was he my best friend, but he was also really hot with his perfect curly dirty blonde hair that fell a little past his ears and his enchanting blue eyes - not that I like him or anything it's just nice to have a guy friend that's easy on the eyes, is that so wrong?

"Yeah, she really did this time."

"So does this mean that you're free?" Ethan asked as an evil smirk crept up on his lips.

"Depends."

"Depends on what?"

"Depends if there's food involved," I said, giving him a dead-serious face. We both stood there, staring at each other, with are most serious faces, until I couldn't take it anymore and burst out laughing. Ethan soon joined in as I felt all the eyes in the diner on us.

"No but seriously, there needs to to be food," I said, becoming serious again: because no one should ever joke about food.

"Fine, you win, I'll buy you food," he said, putting his hands up in surrender. "But first you have to explain to me why you got a tattoo and didn't tell me about it."

"Tattoo? What tattoo?" Ethan pointed at my neck. I don't have any tattoos, what the heck was he talking about? The only thing around my neck was the necklace from this morning. I felt for the mysterious necklace, but it wasn't there. It was gone. I ran into the diner's small one person restroom and locked the door. I looked in the small mirror hanging on the wall to see that I did, in fact, have a tattoo on my my neck that was in the shape of a necklace.

"Oh my gosh, you don't think that it's the.... Holy crap this can't be happening," I said out loud to myself, turning on the water at the sink and beginning to splash it on my face. This is all just a crazy dream, right? This couldn't actually be happening. I dried my face off, hoping that when I look in the mirror I would see the gold chain hanging around my neck, but that wasn't the case. The tattoo was still there. I took a closer look in the mirror to see that it had the same design as the necklace I had found this morning. I felt my skin around the tattoo. I could feel something underneath my skin. The tattoo wasn't just a tattoo. It was the necklace. It had sunk under my skin.

I felt the tears begin to form in my eyes. Why is this happening? How is this happening? How could I be so stupid? Who in their right mind puts on a necklace that mysteriously shows up in a gold box sitting in the middle of their bedroom? Not only did it mysteriously show up, but a piece of paper in the box said to "Beware the burden of the necklace", so what kind of idiot would put on a necklace that came with a warning note? That's right, this idiot right here.

"Hey, is everything alright in there?" I heard Ethan ask from the other side of the restroom door.

"Yeah, everything's perfectly fine," I said, beginning to pace around the restroom.