Jealousy Strike One!

Începe de la început

It took me a few minutes to regain my senses and continue tying my hair into a nice, round bun. Reminding myself that Ali was waiting in the car, I put on my emerald earnings and my necklace. I fixed my hijab with two pins and walked downstairs, my heels making a loud noise as I took a step.

I saw the car waiting right outside the gate for me. Once I was close enough, I could see Ali typing away on his phone. I knocked on the car window which made him look up.

"Unlock the door." I mouthed towards him and he pressed a button on the right of the steering wheel.

The doors unlocked and I got in the car, bringing my matching bag along. The car was warm and the seats were comfortable. I straightened my clothes to avoid ruining the ironing. Turning around to face Ali, I frowned when I saw a shocked look on his face. The phone in his hand had been long placed on the dashboard.

"Is something on my face?" I quickly felt myself, trying to find the reason behind Ali's strange reaction. He shook his head. "No, you have nothing on your face." that made me cock an eyebrow at him.

I had to admit, under the moonlight, Ali's eyes shone brighter and his hair glowed. When my eyes traveled to his folded sleeves, I noticed his biceps. His chest looked oh so broad in the black Kameez and I would be lying if I said he looked any less than Zayn Malik. (Not the best reference though, lol)
As if answering my unasked question, he opened his mouth to reply. "I've never seen you wear lipstick before," he said. "Your lips look really nice."

I froze in my place as blood rushed to my cheeks. He looked like he didn't know what he had just said. It made me feel paranoid that he was checking me out. And my lips?! I turned around to avoid his gaze and looked out the window. "You didn't have to point that out." I mumbled, my hands shaking. Realizing what he had said, instead of changing the topic, he continued.

"It's true, Anisa. You look really beautiful." that made me look back at him and I thought he was being serious for a second. Before I could get nervous all over again, I reminded myself about last time he had tried to intimidate me. I put my nose high in the air and showed some sass.

"Oh really?"

He nodded, looking dead serious. I had already decided that I wasn't going to let his words fool me because he was just toying with me. He thought that he could trap me in his charms the same way he did to the other girls at school but I wasn't stupid. I wasn't going to let him get to me.

"I'm serious." he went on but I folded my arms over my chest and looked away from him.

"It makes me want to kiss you."

My heart stopped and my eyes grew into two big footballs. I slowly turned to look at him, my face burning a deep crimson red. I was sure my face matched the color of my lipstick then. My eyes met his intense gaze and I gulped.

I told myself that he would suddenly start laughing any moment now and that I should be prepared for everything. But that moment never came. Instead, my heart beat sped up and I felt my stomach do summersaults.

"You're kidding me… Right?"
Suddenly, he let out a sigh and ran a frustrated hand through his hair, ruining his hairstyle that he had worked so hard on. His bangs fell over his eyes and he looked back at the steering wheel. "Just… just forget it." He started the car, the engine roaring to life and pressed on the accelerator. All the while, I just watched him like a dummy, not knowing what to say or do.

Was he being serious? For real?
It seemed like it was the only question that was running through my mind.

As much as I was confused, I hated myself for feeling giddy. Something about what he said made me feel special. And I had to admit it, it was a great feeling. At that point, I was afraid that if Ali had leaned in, I would've actually—

Get your mind out of the gutter, Anisa!

I facepalmed myself mentally before cursing under my breath. Ali drove silently and he looked like he had a lot in mind. It made me wonder; was I really looking that pretty? Did I appeal to him? To the guy who could get any girl he liked?

My school was filled with girls with a beautiful figure and pretty blond and blue eyes. As far as I could remember, Ali would flirt with them but he never crossed the line. I knew he had that much dignity and respect for Islam.
But saying that he wanted to kiss me? I was not expecting that!

The drive ended and those thoughts were still swirling in my mind. As soon as Ali stopped the car, I took the chance and got out of the car in an instant. The house in front of me was glowing with beautiful lights but it was the last thing on my mind.

"You're forgetting me, Anisa." I heard him call from behind. I looked back and gave him an apologetic look. "Sorry,"

Once he was standing beside me, I started walking and he followed. Everything was going fine until the tension rose up again. And at that moment, Ali just had to go on and say something weird again.

"About what I said in the car…" he started and I bit my lip. He hit the arrow on the target when he touched the topic I was dreading the most. "I just want to clarify," I didn't look back at him as he continued slowly. "I wasn't joking around. I really meant it when I said I wanted—"

"Okay! That's enough! You don't have to say the full sentence!" My face was burning with embarrassment and I had my hands held up in the air with my face looking away. My eyes were shut as I didn't want to face Ali head on.

"I understand what you want to say!"

Ali gave me a serious look, which didn't suit him at all. He looked like a totally different person. "Are you offended by what I said?" he questioned which made my hands fall back to my sides and my face lifted up to look at him.

I fidgeted nervously, unsure of how to answer. "What kind of question is that?" I mumbled under my breath with a voice that cracked. Ali narrowed his eyes at me. "It's a question like any other question. You just have to answer in yes or no."

I took a deep breath. "If you're asking if I'm okay with us… Uhh… you know…" My voice broke as I spoke. "With us kissing," I said the last word in a whisper to which Ali nodded, confirming that I guessed correctly.

Before I could finish my sentence, I threw my hands up in the air with exasperation. "Oh my God, Ali! What kind of questions are you asking me?" I bursted out, startling him too.
"I don't want to have this conversation with you of all people! And if you're toying with me, then please stop. It may be a daily routine for you to flirt with girls but this is new to me and I don't know how to react!" Finally letting out my emotions, I turned back on my heels.

"Now, please, can we go to dinner? Asma baji is waiting for us." I practically pleaded to him. He looked shocked, stunned, amazed—you name it. But when he finally escaped his trance, his lips curled up into an amused smile.

"Let's go." he gave up and started walking again.